fishing update for last two weeks

osman

hey raiders ive hit the water approx 5 times in the last two weeks it has been really weird.

first session was a plan to go off the rocks. i wanted to get some livies for the session so i went down to a warf i know to catch some yakka when i got there i saw two squid in the water so quickly threw on a jig and as soon as the jig hit the water out of no where more than 50 squid showed literally every cast the jig wouldnt even hit the water and straight on, no matter where i casted, i was in shock this lasted for about 5 mins and than all of a sudden there wasnt a single squid i managed 9 dropped 4 on the way up, mind you this is in broad day light so weird. funny thing was ive been back to the spot 3 times this week and not a single squid in sight, its like it was a dream. anyways back to rock fishing threw out a fresh squid and not a single touch all day in the mean time i caught 4 australian samon each around the 3 kilo mark on pilies gave me a great fight off the rocks, however as the low tide hit i began cleaning my catch still had the pillie in the water and all of a sudden zzzzzzzzz this thing was huge and fought nothing like a samon it fought very deep and hard, after a good 10 minutes it finally showed its face it was a huge mantra ray well over 10 kilo there was no way i was bringing him up had to snap my line very dissapointed it wasnt a fish oh well at least i didnt go home empty handed :)

next session was at a beach of the national park however had the worst luck the water was infested with weed and i couldnt get the bait to sit longer than 5min before getting snagged. really annoying especially when u drove a long distance.

next session was of narrabean beach again fresh squid all night and nothing except a large shovel nose shark and a ray,

another night the jew doesnt show really frustrating me now.

last two sessions have been of the hawkesbury weirdest thing happened on the first night, i was trying to catch a livie with a hand line right under the warf, water wouldnt of been more than a meter in depth when all of a sudden the line got ripped out of my hands this thing was huge, the warf had no light so i couldnt see a thing it literally splashed the water as it thrust done a full 360 and bit straight through the 20lb line(it was extra line left from the last time i filled the reel) felt alot like a shark, it suprising how close and shallow they would come, still dont know for sure though, other than that caught 3 bream all around 30cm and 50cm flatty no runs on the livie at all or the fresh strip squid other than the usual catfish or eel.

the next session was even worse had big baits out all night during the tide not a touch, managed a few big bream, and a soapie was about 50cm i let him go with a message for his mum :). anyways once the tide hit rock bottom my rod started screaming it was the whole squid picked up set the hook, and this thing was just running hard, it went for a good minute or so until i turned his head, fought it for a good 5 mins it was very big and had lots of power finally surfaced was over a meter and half long it looked like an eel but it wasnt it had like a snout, it wasnt a pike eel either or a hairtail, never seen anything like it, it was really fat weighed easily 10kg as i came to lift him he bit straight through the 60 pound line tried looking it up on the net still cant find him.

all up its been fun but getting very frustraited with the big jew im after still a no show i think i need to find a new hobby one thats not as expensive and time consuming, its been really bad lately spending way too much time trying to get him with no luck its been a good few years and no 10kg jew under my belt.

tight lines

Awesome report mate, very entertaining. I'm looking forward to your next installment already! Your mystery fish wasn't a morey of some sort? Some species can get quite large, and would explain the teeth... Just a thought. Im guessing it was silver?

Edited by Singers

What a excellent report!!!

Enjoyed reading it that's for sure,

By the sounds of it you know what you are doing so all you need now is a little luck and that 10 Kilo Jew wont be too far away,

as for changing hobbies mate Id honestly stick to fishing as you don't know it yet but the build up to the Big fish will always be something that you can look back on and once it does happen it will all be worth it...

I was always after King's and Jew it took me almost 1 year to get them and since then I don't have as much time as I did before to go chasing them these day's I just enjoy Bream bashing and flicking plastics but I look back at the weeknight's chasing squid and going for the Jew and they were the best fishing days of my life I have to get back into it again!!!!!!

Good luck with it and your persistence will pay off eventually,

Regards,

Nathan

Awesome report mate, very entertaining. I'm looking forward to your next installment already! Your mystery fish wasn't a morey of some sort? Some species can get quite large, and would explain the teeth... Just a thought. Im guessing it was silver?

thanks mate but nah it was actually pretty dark in colour like a brown, it would of been some sort of eel just never seen one like it before it was really weird looking it was like something out of one of those deep sea scuba diving documentaries lol.

Mate whereabouts in the Hawkesbury was the Wharf?

I've had hits from sharks around Bobbin Head before, caught a Hammerhead as big as the tinnie not more than 30 meters from the marina years ago.

mate it was off a private warf not to far from brooklyn, ive caught hammerheads before there but not in so close it was literally a size 8 hook with a tiny peice of pilchard on it in water about a metre deep, it was very powerful it almost sliced my finger open when i tried to grab the line.