Crabbing In Burrill Lake

Yabbie

Its my back yard. What the fisheries but caught swimmers and big muddies. Lake opened prior to christmas so there is some flow now but personally haven't targeted them since its been closed.

Good luck

Thanks.

Also, as only once or twice a year visitors to the coast, we have only tried crabbing a couple of times (at Batemans Bay with locals, and they used witches hats). We can't buy them inland. We bought some 2-hoop drop nets from **** that state they are crab nets. Do you think they'd be any good, or are witches hats better?

The 2 hoop nets are crab traps (so the guy at the local tackle shop told me) so check the regulations as you are only allowed to use of those, but you are allowed to use 4 of the witches hat type. The 2 hoops are also for mud crab where the witches hats are better for blue swimmers. The trick with the witches hats is when you are pulling them back up try and pull them up as close to vertical as possible, otherwise they tilt to the side and any crabs not completely tangled will fall off. Good luck.

The 2 hoop nets are crab traps (so the guy at the local tackle shop told me) so check the regulations as you are only allowed to use of those, but you are allowed to use 4 of the witches hat type. The 2 hoops are also for mud crab where the witches hats are better for blue swimmers. The trick with the witches hats is when you are pulling them back up try and pull them up as close to vertical as possible, otherwise they tilt to the side and any crabs not completely tangled will fall off. Good luck.

Thanks very much for that, will check regulations.