Trolling Session

Fisheroo

Hi Guys,

We decided to go for a troll yesterday looking to get onto a Marlin or Dollie. Based on the current conditions over the last week or so we were fairly confident that we had a good chance.

Weather was perfect with 6 knot winds and 0.5m swell. So we left foreshore rd ramp at 5.30am and headed out to towards the peak. At this time we were surprised at how little bait is around.

Did a few happy laps at the peak and then we were on our way to the 12 mile. Got there and it was the same story. No bait balls anywhere to be seen. We then ventured out to the fad and wide fad. It was amazing how quite it was on the sounder.

Spoke to a few people out on the radio and they were experiencing the same thing. Boats were at the shelf and Browns and had the same fate as us with no bait balls or fish to be seen.

We are heading out again on Sunday. Hopefully with some better luck!

Cheers

Fisheroo

Gday Fisheroo,

I was out there on thursday, perfect weather, saw heaps of thumb sized baitfish when the water was @ 23deg. I was hooking up stripey tuna all day. I even hooked a marlin around 2.30pm 5ks from the heads. It was on 10kg line so i had no chance of boating it. It jumped up and did its little dance then waved goodbye. I couldnt even persue it as I was very low on fuel. I guess the fish are in very close at the moment so if you find the stripeys, chances are there is something large chasing them. Also caught a few undersize dollies north of the fad. Saw a fair few dolphins around too so the fish could be a bit spooked.

Good luck on Sunday mate, I bet there will be heaps of boats out there.

Dave.