Botany Bay Bandit

kenparrott

Out early Thursday morning in the bay to get some live bait, plenty of yellow tail still around.

Went looking for a legal size Kingy, but alas nothing. Plenty of small sized bream and school snapper, and even an eel on the smaller rod whilst I drifted patently.

Went to join a couple of other anglers at M pt just on low tide bottom. Within 5 mins had a king fish on, but he was only 60cm. Almost as soon as releasing this one, the other rod went off. It felt like a very large king, but with shorter runs. When I got the fish to within view, it looked very large but darker than a king.

Just then, about 1 mtr below the surface, a shark came up from the bottom (at least 2 mtr in length)and took the fish. He cut the fish in half with one move just behind it's gills. What was left for me, was the head of what was once a large Jew Fish. This Jew was going to be my first Jew caught in the bay, and I suspect was in the vicinity of 70cm in length at one stage.

I was literally in shock for about 5mins. Silly me returned to fishing the spot, until it dawned on me that with that bandit down there any larger fish would be moving on.

Hey Ken,

Mate that's the first I've heard of someone getting sharked in Botany Bay.

I guess with so many kingies around, there is food for the sharks too.

I'm certainly not a fan of sharks, but if they are under 50kg, I believe they are safe to eat.

So if you have the gear and experience, they are a fair target....

Tony