Outriggers

greg123

Hi all,

I'm in the market for some good quality outriggers for a 19ft boat.

The other day I saw some telescopic ones on a fairly serious looking game boat (about 25ft) that was moored. I'm assuming they wouldnt be some cheap poor quality ones as the boat was pretty well geared up and have seen this boat heading out offshore almost every weekend.

So my question is: Does anyone know of what make/model these may have been (or anything similar). I dont want any cheap and nasty ones that are going to break/corrode any time soon.

Also, for anyone with some experience selecting outriggers for a boat this size (19ft), what do you recommned? I've seen some 11ft ones on the market but aren't too sure if they're long enough to be worth it.

The reason I was looking at the telescopic varieties is that it's a trailer boat and obviously cant be towing around a boat with outriggers sticking up another 10-15ft above the boat. However, I'm not sure how good this type actually is.

Cheers,

Greg

Hi Guys

Ive got 'cheep' telescopic outriggers on my boat that I bought through online shop for about $800. Being my first ever experience with outriggers I done a lot of looking first and the only thing that stuck in mind was relax bases, so I made sure I got them not knowing why until I got talking to a guy that had another brand and main difference is having more adjustment it makes a lot of difference.

The telescopic poles have been fine with the only problem that occasionally they will collapse when using them and then when you want to pack them away they dont want to collapse. Nothing a little force dont fix!

all worth while when it comes to storing them.

post-8167-031081600 1298960633_thumb.jpg

I use my outriggers every time I go out with an average of 100hours a year for the past 2+ years the only thing that didnt last was the release clips wich I replaced with "blacks" release clips and I am really happy with my outriggers.

Brett

Cheers Brett, haha those bases were the first thing i noticed in your photo. I've heard to stick with the relaax bases no matter what.

800 bucks is a pretty good price, I've had a look online and have found heaps around that price but they seem to vary in quality.

Also your storage method is swaying me further towards the telescopic models. I've seen a couple in a store and it seems like any issues with them not staying up could be fixed fairly simply (well the ones I saw seemed that way at least)

Can anyone out there with a trailer boat and non-telescopic outriggers comment on storage?

Greg

G'day Greg,

I've got a 560C Barcrusher which came with a set of 5.5m reelax poles and bases. I've used them heaps over the last couple of years and have not had a drama at all. I store them in my garage when not in use and just place them up the centre of the boat when I travel to the boat ramp. They came fully rigged and to date (touch wood) have not failed me. I know their not cheap, but are really worth having. Never tried the telescopic type so I can't comment on them. Good luck with your purchase.

Dave

before you spend 800.00 off your hard erned cash on relax poles and bases

i'll set you up with two poles [3 meter pole] much the same as the setup in the pick for around 300.00

and ill garantee it for 5 years and if your not happy with the poles or holders i'll give you your money back

now lets see relax beat that :1yikes:

800.00 is far to much to pay for 3 meter poles

cheers gary

the two poles in the pic are 4.5 meter 2 peace and 3 meter one peace i only have 3 sets off 3 meter left and will sell the poles by them self

post-6655-073842300 1298983074_thumb.jpg

post-6655-052085900 1298983104_thumb.jpg

post-6655-067502300 1298983124_thumb.jpg

Edited by brickman

I was looking through Wellsys website the other day at new products and noticed that Top Shot are now doing 2 piece poles that screw together in the $550-600 range. Now I havent seen them but considering the quality of other Top Shot products they are probably worth a look.

Greg for the lenght of your boat go the 4.5 meter poles. 3 meter poles will be to short, the longer ones will give you a better spread and the lures will sit in clean water.

Cheers Silvo.

I agree I run mine at about a 30deg angle incase they hit the water (to prevent breaking) if the water is realy flat I then put them further out but very rare to run at 90deg. Mine are about 5.5m or 6m long

Brett