HB fishing in Woolooware Bay

Hi Raiders,

After a couple of busy weekends with family functions and chores I decided that I needed to get the boat out and have a fish. The original plan was to head out on Saturday morning with Bassboy, however the weather thwarted us. As a consequence I headed out by myself early on Sunday morning for a dawn surface session amongst the oyster leases in Woolooware Bay. The morning started with perfect surface fishing weather with cloud cover, a slight wind and fish taking bait from the surface. Unfortunately it was mainly small bream and tailor chasing bait through the leases and in the first hour I caught two small tailor (the pencil lure was almost longer that the fish) and lost a couple of nice fish amongst the leases...fortunately the fish dropped the lures before the leader snapped.

As the sun broke through the clouds there was no further interest in my surface offerings and I switched tactics cast HB lures into the deeper sections of the leases.

My third cast with a HB into the leases resulted in an aggressive strike and a solid run back into the lease. The run was short lived and I was surprised to see the culprit was a nice 58cm flattie, which had completely engulfed the lure.

post-12960-031192500 1299491784_thumb.jpg

This was to be the first of six flatties that aggressively attacked my HB amongst the leases. The next best fish was this 43cm flattie.

post-12960-064174000 1299491800_thumb.jpg

The bream finally showed up as the tide turned and over a 40 minute period I was able to pull five bream out of the leases including two healthy 28cm fish.

post-12960-045186100 1299491824_thumb.jpg

post-12960-036415800 1299491835_thumb.jpg

Overall a good morning session and the aggressive strikes on the hard bodies were great fun, however I was somewhat disappointed that the surface bite did not materialize.

Hey Basscatcher. Some good fish there. What HBs were you using? Not many WB reports this summer I've noticed.

I've not hit WB much this year as well and have found little surface action in the bay so far. A bit disappointing as last year was quite fun with surface walkers.

I'm going to try again this weekend and see how I go.

Hey Basscatcher. Some good fish there. What HBs were you using? Not many WB reports this summer I've noticed.

I've not hit WB much this year as well and have found little surface action in the bay so far. A bit disappointing as last year was quite fun with surface walkers.

I'm going to try again this weekend and see how I go.

Hi PMAK - this summer has been a bit slow with regards to the surface action in WB. I have had significantly more success with surface lures in the Georges River compared to WB.

The successful HB lures were a river2sea baby crank (5ft diver) and a atomic diver (2-3ft).