EPIRB registration

Geoff

I received a letter this week from ausbeacon to renew my EPIRB rego.

During the renewal I was informed by ausbeacon that if my "Emergency Contact" could not be reached & there was no second contact listed then the search could be delayed until the satilite passes over again in 5 hours.

The girl explained that if the beacon was activated , contact was made with my "Emergency Contact" to verify I was on the water along with my approx location.

If my E.C. could not be reached & there was no second contact then nothing was done until the satellite passed over again to verify the signal. :1yikes:

If this is the case then up to 10 hours could pass prior to any action being taken. :mad3:

Has any one else received similar advice.

Geoff

Is it a GPS EPIRB? I remember reading something about that on the AMSA site (or whatever that organisation is called) and came to the conclusion that GPS EPIRBs would result in a much shorter rescue time than the normal one which I have as it all depends on when the satellites pass overhead.

Could anyone clarify this?

I sure as hell don't want to be sitting in the water for 10 hours, especially as by this time it will be dark and I'll have to spend a night in the drink until they can start searching at daybreak.

Cheers

Yeah, I read somewhere that the non GPS ones have to wait until the satellite passes over to pick up the signal (i think theres 3 or 4 satellites that pick up the signals). The GPS ones dont have to wait for that to happen before the signal is transmitted and received by the authorities. I recently bought one of the GPS ones as I didnt want to wait that long if I was in trouble. Also the accuracy of the authorities locating you is reduced from km's down to metres with the GPS ones, again making for a much faster rescue.

I don't have an epirb on the boat as I never go more than 2nm outside. If I ever get a boat capable then I will have to get one. 99.9% of the time I fish alone, and often at night, so what I do have is a PLB with GPS that I wear at night or if it gets a little rough. I figure if I fall out, there's no point them locating the boat and not me. I want to be found before the boat does! It's a GME one.

• 2 weeks later...

The cheaper 'Orange' GME EPIRB (the one that sells for about $299) is the standard EPIRB which yes can take up to 5 hours for the satelites to get your signal,, and when it does get your signal it could be up to 5Kms out,,,from where you actually are

The Yellow GME EPIRB (the one that is about ($600-$700) has a built in GPS in it and normally will locate you with in minutes and with in 50 metres of where you are.

If you check the GME website you will find out all the details.

The cheaper 'Orange' GME EPIRB (the one that sells for about $299) is the standard EPIRB which yes can take up to 5 hours for the satelites to get your signal,, and when it does get your signal it could be up to 5Kms out,,,from where you actually are

The Yellow GME EPIRB (the one that is about ($600-$700) has a built in GPS in it and normally will locate you with in minutes and with in 50 metres of where you are.

If you check the GME website you will find out all the details.

Idolz I'm aware of the aspects you mention. My post related to Emergency contacts & when does the search actually begin , after the first pass of the satelite or the second.

Geoff