Evening Fishing - Eastern beaches

Dingostema

Hello guys, I dont seem to be having any luck at the moment on Coogee beach (not even a nibble last night!)

Is anyone else having better luck on any of the other eastern suburb beaches? I am not asking for anyones 'secret' spots but is anyonme noticing that any of the Eastern beaches are more productive than others at the moment?

Also, if you guys are fishing in a certain spot on a beach, generally, how long do you wait without a bite before you move to another spot? I am happy to be patient but by the same toekn I dont want to waste precious time.

*** NB *** I am also really keen to hook up with people who fish weekday evenings on the Eastern beaches.

I am looking to catch anything edible.

Thanks gang, DingoDave :thumbup:

Edited by Dingostema

what are your target species ?

its usually a good idea to try and fish for a specific fish rather than anything

FYI - i went snorkling around south coogee sun arvo / evening. About 50meters along the rocks from the pool at the south end, theres a big sandy patch - hard to miss from the shore as its between rocks and weed. While snorkling i saw a dozen BIG KG whiting. i was tempted to get out and grab my rod ;)

also saw a large school of garfish just before wileys baths, and the usual reef / rock fish in amoungst the structure

Hey Bennoz,

In all honesty I dont really know enough about fishing to decide what to target, I am a recent newbie! I guess I am location driven at the moment as I live in Coogee really close to the beach. I ideally want to catch fish to eat.

I do have rock boots but as I am so inexperienced I would be concerned about rock fishing without being with someone more experienced.

Cheers, DingoDave

the rocks around coogee are fairly well trodden and pretty safe. The beach is also patrolled, and wedding cake island reduces any swell into coogee bay. That being said always watch where you go for a good 15min (to get a feel for the swell) and tell someone whre your going

predatory species like Aus salmon and tailor like a more "Active" beach - lots of current, whitewash and gutters to ambush from. coogee isnt one of these beaches so id target something else.

personally id be looking at whiting, bream, flathead, squid, garfish, blackfish.

good places to start fishing usually involve the edges where the sand meets the weed/structure. This means arount the point (north or south). you dont have to go far or even climb rocks to get to these places.

running sinker to hook - cast to the sandy patches (to avoid snags) should get you whiting, bream, flathead

float to hook/hooks over the edges of the weed should get you a wide range of species

float out a pillie on a squid spike for squid while you bottom bash

Excellent advice, many thanks. Ironically, a week ago I caught 3 x 35cm Tailor from the middle of coogee beach. I havent really fished the extreme north/south ends as I always worry about getting snagged on rocks but I will defo give it a try. So for the rocks on the South end you walk on the wall of the man made pool and just follow the rocks round south for 50m?

Cheers DD

Edited by Dingostema

pretty much. just go exploring. theres heaps of places to get down from. go for a wander tonight ;)

even walk across the stones from the wileys bath enterance further up the hill.

i saw a couple, one in a deck chair, the other lying on the rocks - both sunning themselves on an awesome looking platform just down from wileys

personally Id avoid the north side as theres usually more people, the rocks are more exposed to the open ocean and im not 100% on where the marine park starts from

Hi Andy, sure mate but I ideally want to fish weekday evenings afer work for a couple of hours if you are interested? D

Hi Dave,

If you want someone to accompany you fishing just contact me as I live in Eastern suburb as well.

Then we can learn together.

Cheers,

Andy

Hey Andy, I get home to coogee for about 6.15 most nights but I cant do Wednesday. I could do Thursday maybe from about 6.30pm? I will PM you my number and email which might be easier moving on.

Starting from what time mate? Tomorrow afternoon will be nice.

Andy

I have caught blackfish off the beach at the northern end of coogee. Use a ball sinker down to a swivel with a 8lb fluro carbon trace of about 1 metre. Use a size 6-8 hook. You can collect weed or cabbage off the rocks near there. Fish for them on the run up to high tide.

Coogee also fishes well for whiting - use live bloodworms. You can get these from Global Tackle at Kingsford

If you can make it around to Maroubra beach you will have a better chance of wrestling with bigger fish like Salmon & tailor. The beach is more open and you can get get a good gutter.

If I had to pcik between Maroubra or Coogee I would choose Maroubra every time

gav

Thanks for the info Gav, much appreciated. I have a couple of questions.

RE Blackfish, can I ask why a) you suggest to use a fluro carbon trace and B) why you would use a 1m trace?

RE Maroubra, the beach is so big I never know where to start. I actually asked a lifesaver and he pointed out that near the buildings there are a few poles with danger signs pointing to the ocean. He said these are where the rips are and are good places to fish, do you agree?

Thanks, David

I have caught blackfish off the beach at the northern end of coogee. Use a ball sinker down to a swivel with a 8lb fluro carbon trace of about 1 metre. Use a size 6-8 hook. You can collect weed or cabbage off the rocks near there. Fish for them on the run up to high tide.

Coogee also fishes well for whiting - use live bloodworms. You can get these from Global Tackle at Kingsford

If you can make it around to Maroubra beach you will have a better chance of wrestling with bigger fish like Salmon & tailor. The beach is more open and you can get get a good gutter.

If I had to pcik between Maroubra or Coogee I would choose Maroubra every time

gav

Edited by Dingostema

The reason I use a fluro carbon trace is because it makes the line invisiable to the fish. You can get a decent trace line for around $15 and it will last you for months (depending on how you fish that is).

I find a metre trace allows the bait to appear "more natural" in the water. My experience has been I have a better chance of a bite with a trace this long.

Regarding the beach, it really depends. Once you know how to identify a gutter, your catch rate will improve as this is where the fish sit. I love beach fishing but I am still only learning the ropes myself

With Maroubra beach if you park at the North End you are slightly elevated and get a good view of the beach, I normally identify the gutter from there and then head down to my spot.

If you have any further questions fire away and I will do my best to answer them

gav

Thanks Gav, appreciate your advice. I am actually going to give Maroubra a go tonight. I have absolutely no idea how I would identify where the gutters are and as I only really fish after work I am often arriving in partial or total darkness? Cheers, David

The reason I use a fluro carbon trace is because it makes the line invisiable to the fish. You can get a decent trace line for around $15 and it will last you for months (depending on how you fish that is).

I find a metre trace allows the bait to appear "more natural" in the water. My experience has been I have a better chance of a bite with a trace this long.

Regarding the beach, it really depends. Once you know how to identify a gutter, your catch rate will improve as this is where the fish sit. I love beach fishing but I am still only learning the ropes myself

With Maroubra beach if you park at the North End you are slightly elevated and get a good view of the beach, I normally identify the gutter from there and then head down to my spot.

If you have any further questions fire away and I will do my best to answer them

gav