New Reel

Big Berg

Hi Guys,

I know that this question has probably been asked hundreds of times before but I still can't make up my mind on which reel to get. I am looking to use this reel to target Kingies, Bonitos etc and will mainly be fishing off the rocks.

I also have a 10 foot and a 12 foot rod I can match it with. I am looking for a reel that will hold over 300 meters of 50lb braid and I will also be using it to spin here and there.

My current choices are:

1. Shimano Spheros 18000FB (20kg drag)

2. Fin-Nor Offshore Spin 65-95 (27.2kg drag)

3. Salina II Salt Water 16000 (20kg drag)

4. Daiwa Saltist 6500 (30kg drag)

5. Abu Soron SX70 or STX70 (don't really know the difference) (30lb drag)

Anyone have any advice?

Also can you also recommend a brand of braid. I am currently using mono on all my reels and wish to start using braid.

Alot of people have told me that FINS or Power Pro are the way to go.

thanks

G'day mate

I also asked myself the same question about 12 months ago and ended up buying a shimano baitrunner 12000d. The max drag is about 12kg from memory but if you are only loading up with 50lb then you don't need 20kg. And i just use a different reel for high speed spinning.

As for the braid i currently have a couple of reels loaded with finns and have never had a problem

Cheers Leo

Hi Guys,

I know that this question has probably been asked hundreds of times before but I still can't make up my mind on which reel to get. I am looking to use this reel to target Kingies, Bonitos etc and will mainly be fishing off the rocks.

I also have a 10 foot and a 12 foot rod I can match it with. I am looking for a reel that will hold over 300 meters of 50lb braid and I will also be using it to spin here and there.

My current choices are:

1. Shimano Spheros 18000FB (20kg drag)

2. Fin-Nor Offshore Spin 65-95 (27.2kg drag)

3. Salina II Salt Water 16000 (20kg drag)

4. Daiwa Saltist 6500 (30kg drag)

5. Abu Soron SX70 or STX70 (don't really know the difference) (30lb drag)

Anyone have any advice?

Also can you also recommend a brand of braid. I am currently using mono on all my reels and wish to start using braid.

Alot of people have told me that FINS or Power Pro are the way to go.

thanks

All the reels you have listed are way to heavy. I currently fish with a Daiwa TD SOL 4000 reel with 30lb braid. I land bonnies around 70cm mark and alot of rats as well. And this is of the rocks. Depending on how much money you wanted to spend. i would definitely look for 4000-5000 size reel to match with your 10ft rod. A good quality reel in this range would cost you around $300. In regards to braid, 30lb braid would be suitable for what your fishing for unless you wanted to live bait then id probably use 50lb otherwise you won't be able to cast far. If you want to fit more braid onto your reel then go for something with a thin diameter. Im using Rovex Viros Braid at the moment and I can fit 300yds onto my reel without any backing. Ive made the mistake in the past of buying a heavy reel, casting all day and holding your rod is an absolute pain on the arms. Hope my advice helps you.

I agree with Steze, all to big to fish all day with. A 18000 holds 400m of 90lb braid, I'd go a 8000/10000 size in Shimano or 4500 daiwa. My 10000 Stella holds 350m of 80 and my saltiga 4500 holds 350 of 60lb

Thanks for the replies guys. :thumbup:

I went down to my local tackle shop and looked at the Daiwa Salist 4500 and Okuma Salina II 5000.

I am kind pushing towards these two reels. They both are evenly priced at $249-$260. I just don't know whick company provides better service and warranty.

Okuma have a lifetime warranty on their reel and Daiwa has a 5 year warranty. Not sure though what is actually covered

Thought about the Stradic 6000?? Good bang for your buck if you ask me, and that size is fine off the rocks for all but the really big fish. And the warranty for shimano is good, not that I've ever needed it...

Thanks for the replies guys. :thumbup:

I went down to my local tackle shop and looked at the Daiwa Salist 4500 and Okuma Salina II 5000.

I am kind pushing towards these two reels. They both are evenly priced at $249-$260. I just don't know whick company provides better service and warranty.

Okuma have a lifetime warranty on their reel and Daiwa has a 5 year warranty. Not sure though what is actually covered

Edited by abecedarian

just remember that your rock fishing. Your reel IS going to get wet, Scratched and banged around. I wouldnt be spending a whole lot of money of a expensive reel for this type of fishing.

I have shakespere sigma 2200 (a sponsor of fishraider site :biggrin2:http://www.purefishing.com.au/reels/shakespeare/spin/sigma-2200-spin/ ).

mine is the SIG70 and its great. the reel itself is very solid, smooth and has a decent drag. It has a high gear ratio and is spooled with almost 500yards of 30lb Fins braid. Reel+braid cost me just under $200

highly recommended

Edited by bennoz

G'day mate

I also asked myself the same question about 12 months ago and ended up buying a shimano baitrunner 12000d. The max drag is about 12kg from memory but if you are only loading up with 50lb then you don't need 20kg. And i just use a different reel for high speed spinning.

As for the braid i currently have a couple of reels loaded with finns and have never had a problem

Cheers Leo

The shimano bait runner is definitely not appropriate for what he is looking for. Firstly it is a slow retrieve and if he is gonna spin for bonito, he will need a pop eye arm. secondly, it is way too heavy. A 3000-4000 size daiwa or 6000 size shimano is the way to go.

Thanks for the advise guys. I currently own a Penn 560 Liveliner and a Penn 760 Slammer for live baiting and bait fishing. I find these reels to be great for what they are used. I just wanted another outfit just for spinning and popping off the rocks.

I guess my top 3 reels will be the

1. Shimano Saragosa or Stradic in the 6000

2. Daiwa Saltist 4500 (5 year warranty)

3. Okuma Salina II 5000 (lifetime warranty)

I guess my decision with which reel to buy is the after sale service of each manufacturer.

Have any other raiders had any issues with the manufacturers warranties

thanks guys