Swansea Fishing Comp last weekend

Chappo

Hi Raiders,

Went in a work fishing comp at Lake Macquarie on the weekend. It started Sunday afternoon and finished lunchtime Tuesday. Belmont Pines Caravan Park was where most stayed. It provided easy boat access to the lake. Apart from the howling Noreaster on Sunday afternoon and a howling Southerly on Monday afternoon........the lake fished well.

In 4 sessions with my son Scott (9 years old and his first comp) we managed about 35 keeper fish ranging from bream, flathead, flounder, whiting, leatherjackets and even a legal snapper. No, we didnt keep them all, but enough for a few dinners this week. For this comp, you measure and record the fish and can then return them if you wish.

Also as a bonus, our two crab traps loaded with Bonito frames, provided 13 legal males over two days. We put another 12 females with roe back into the lake. I think it fair to say the crabs are ON in Swansea. We wern't sure where to drop the traps, but decided on about 20 feet of water out in the middle of the lake. To be honest I think it dosent really matter where you put them at the moment. Thanks mum for the awesome Chilli crab that feed the whole extended family on Wednesday night!

Back to the fishing. We fished two rods each. Each rod was loaded with 6lb braid. A small running ball sinker onto a swivel and then about 50cm of 8lb flurocarbon leader onto a size 2 long shank Gamakatsu hook (Basic drifting rig). The bait of choice was salted white bait which we found at Tackle World, Belmont for $14 a kilo (Good value!). Live worms also got hit quickly. Spent the whole time drifting accross the the edge of sand flats into deeper tidal moving water and this did the trick.

Scott won the junior section and scored himself a rod and reel plus a bunch of mags, medals and lures. I now have one very keen 9 year old fisherman who can't wait for his next comp!

Thanks to all who competed. For the record, some of the better catches were Gary LOWE who scored the biggest Flattie at 75cm and a nice young bloke from Coffs (sorry can't remember your name) who scored a 41cm sand Whiting. They probably come bigger, but I havent heard of or seen one that size before, although we landed one at 36cm.

Chappo

post-1767-076768600 1300428521_thumb.jpg

post-1767-083926700 1300428888_thumb.jpg

Look at you blokes! Like the cats that swallowed the canaries, the pair of you. Well done to the new fising king in the Chappo household Scotty :thumbup::yahoo: .

Mate, I'm/we are in, that's me and Sam for the next comp where ever it is. I can't let Team Chappo get the drum on Team Hood'lum.

Well done on a great effort.

Geez that young fella is looking like you every time I see him.

Cheers

BP

Hi Brian,

The next comp is definately fresh water and will be Glenbawn Dam. The dates are yet tobe confirmed. Enjoy Foster. We want some photos and post of team Hoodlum in action!

Look at you blokes! Like the cats that swallowed the canaries, the pair of you. Well done to the new fising king in the Chappo household Scotty :thumbup::yahoo: .

Mate, I'm/we are in, that's me and Sam for the next comp where ever it is. I can't let Team Chappo get the drum on Team Hood'lum.

Well done on a great effort.

Geez that young fella is looking like you every time I see him.

Cheers

BP

Good work there. The lake is fishing well presently for flatties and bream and there are plenty of crabs. My son and I've managed 38 male swimmers including some really big ones over in a couple of sessions with witches hats at the mouth of Dora Creek over the last 2 weekends. I named one of them Methuselah as he was so big and old he had marine scunge and barnicles growing all over him. I nearly had to buy a bigger boiler. There has only been about 5 or 6 females.

There was a "paid" volunteer (??? I know) doing surveys for Fisheries at the boat ramp last weekend and I had a chat with him for a while. He was recording crab numbers and sizes and he said there were plenty coming in.

Well done mate,

Its a great waterway and we'll be back next year. Have to say, it was great to score enough fresh feed of crabs to make a full meal for a large hungry family!

The most recent report is a bit spooky that there might be illegal commercial fishing occurring in the middle of the night in the lake.

Chappo

Good work there. The lake is fishing well presently for flatties and bream and there are plenty of crabs. My son and I've managed 38 male swimmers including some really big ones over in a couple of sessions with witches hats at the mouth of Dora Creek over the last 2 weekends. I named one of them Methuselah as he was so big and old he had marine scunge and barnicles growing all over him. I nearly had to buy a bigger boiler. There has only been about 5 or 6 females.

There was a "paid" volunteer (??? I know) doing surveys for Fisheries at the boat ramp last weekend and I had a chat with him for a while. He was recording crab numbers and sizes and he said there were plenty coming in.

:thumbup: Good onya Murray, mate you and Scott had a great time, you've got yourself a new fishing buddy now.

Top fishing and did you flick a few plastics around as well??.. Congrats mate... :yahoo:

Hi Ray,

Had a go at whiting on surface poppers over the sandflats on the top of the tide when the wind was up. Have to say, I lost a bit of confidence without Hutch there as my guide. I Also started to doubt the type of lure, but did manage a few hits (but no fish). I also found out 9 year olds don't quite have the patience for this type of fishing. Good luck tomorrow with hutch!

Chappo

:thumbup: Good onya Murray, mate you and Scott had a great time, you've got yourself a new fishing buddy now.

Top fishing and did you flick a few plastics around as well??.. Congrats mate... :yahoo:

About time you got the band back together. Wonder if Ray will let you use his custom brag mat? Good luck.

Chappo

Nice one Chappo,

Congrats cuz Scotty you guys were on fire. Going out with Ray tomorrow weather permitting let you know the result. We will be chasing whiting, bream and Jew.

Regards, Hutchoooooo

Congrats on the effort. Not sure if you are aware but crab traps are illegal in Lake Macquarie. Can only use witches hats. I only found this out by reading the signs at the Pelican Boat Ramp. Not a well known fact and poorly sign posted. Cheers.

Congrats on the effort. Not sure if you are aware but crab traps are illegal in Lake Macquarie. Can only use witches hats. I only found this out by reading the signs at the Pelican Boat Ramp. Not a well known fact and poorly sign posted. Cheers.

True, only witches hats are allowed in Lake Macquarie and i'm sure Chappo was referring to them when he said crab traps.

I don't know about it being "poorly sign posted", as with most things, it's up to you to make sure you know the rules and regulations, it's on the DPI website and in 2011 Saltwater Fishing Guide also.