forward control connection

eniax

hi

was wondering if any 1 could help me out

i have a 1974 50hp outboard and im trying to connect the controls

the two cables how do i know which one connect to which lever?

and when in forward gear which way should i be able to turn the prop freely?

and i know im stupid but on the outboard where does the negative and positive cables connect?

in lamens terms please

any help would be great cheers joe

Do you have a workshop manual for the motor?

If not, if its a Johnson I have a manual for back to 1971, up to 60hp so I could copy/paste some info or something if it helps.

hi i dont have a workshop manual but it is a 1974 johnson so any help of yours would be fantastic

cheers joe

hi i dont have a workshop manual but it is a 1974 johnson so any help of yours would be fantastic

cheers joe

It seems there are several different control boxes, what sort is yours? Single lever, 2 lever or the third which I think has a button of some sort too......

I'll scan a few pages for you.

It seems there are several different control boxes, what sort is yours? Single lever, 2 lever or the third which I think has a button of some sort too......

I'll scan a few pages for you.

just a stock standard single lever cheers

You cannot turn prop either way when in gear, when you move throttle lever, the gear cable wilkes move first, red battery cable goes to starter solenoid. Black is earth, goes to a bolt on block I think.

Sorry eniax, been busy (hence posting at 12.30am). If you still need it, I'll have another look and see if there is anything relevant that is clear. From what I read when I had a look there isn't much written detail on where, but there are a few pics that might give some idea.

Sorry eniax, been busy (hence posting at 12.30am). If you still need it, I'll have another look and see if there is anything relevant that is clear. From what I read when I had a look there isn't much written detail on where, but there are a few pics that might give some idea.

hi thanks heaps pics would be great thanks for going to all this trouble

cheers joe

Edited by eniax