Northern Beaches

wchh

Hi Guys,

I have heard this from the tackle shop re: braid and sand dont mix but the only drama i have has was using a running sinker on braid and i guess now that i think about - it's a no brainer as the braid starts to chafe. However i am starting to put 10m or so of mono on the end of the braid but am yet to to go out and try. I just love the sound that braid gives off when it goes zZzzZzzzzz, can't beat it.

Cheers

Pete.

Good catch mate.With the rig were you using a Paternoster Rig or a running sinker.Also what line class were you using.

Cheers steve

When I fish for bream, flattie etc, I use 20 lb mono mainline and a very simple rig. Probably could be called “a lazy man's rig”. The mainline comes onto a 3-way swivel. Attach the star-sinker to the eyelet at the side/cross and the leader to the other eyelet. I use about 15cm to tie the sinker and for the leader I use about 60cm.

I do use running sinker and 30 lb mainlines when I fish at evenings, just to get ready for the jewies, big tailors, sharks etc.

Charles

I was out againg this morning - Curl Curl this time, a fair sweep of current going right to left, (northeast) up the beach.

Ok gutters, but I was there at low tide, so not really deep enough I guess.

I fished freshly caught (dead) squid and cuttlefish before dawn, both were eventually bitten off.

As the sun came up I switched to a single # 3 hook and half pillies again - but no luck. There seemed to be a load of crabs: the line would suddenly pull in the current, and the tension would stay on until I got the hook about 1/2 way back to the beach, when it seemed the crabs were letting go. The pillies were coming back more or less chopped in half (often lengthways as opposed to the back half getting chopped off). There was no kelp at all either on the beach (it's cleaned off by the council) or in the water.

BB

Went out last night and i wind up trying 3 beachs cause they were all chockablock full of kelp. As soon as the sinker hit the bottom, bang i'm on. Very p#@sd off, especially since i was armed with squid i just caught and all the beach's had a very fishy feel about them.

Went out last night and i wind up trying 3 beachs cause they were all chockablock full of kelp. As soon as the sinker hit the bottom, bang i'm on. Very p#@sd off, especially since i was armed with squid i just caught and all the beach's had a very fishy feel about them.

Newport Beach was full of kelp last Saturday but Mona Vale beach was clean. I am thinking of going today. Hopefully at least one of the beaches will clear up for me?

Charles

got to the beach 6:30pm last night and fishing until 9:30 pm when the kelp was washed in and became a problem. Managed to bag 7 fish, yes, there was a tailor, though not massive. Loved the fat breams!

Charles

post-11759-061426800 1302380626_thumb.jpg

got to the beach 6:30pm last night and fishing until 9:30 pm when the kelp was washed in and became a problem. Managed to bag 7 fish, yes, there was a tailor, though not massive. Loved the fat breams!

Charles

Nice flatties and a pretty good haul in total Charles

Cheers

Pete.

Nice flatties and a pretty good haul in total Charles

Cheers

Pete.

Thanks Pete! It wasn't disappointing at all, but it could have been better if not for the weeds. The tide was only half way up when I had to call it a night.

I will try to squeeze another trip this weekend and update with another post.

Charles

Charles

Nice haul there Charles. Thats a great feed of fishies right there :thumbup:

Cannot wait for my next sand adventure- love fishin the beaches, so reelaxing! :biggrin2:

Anthony

Edited by wannabefisho