Ordering a New Stratos from the USA

brendong

Well after months and months of deliberation and research, I'm finally dropping a deposit on a brand new Stratos 486SF. For my lifestyle I think it will be a cracker as its the best of any cross over ski / fish boat I've seen and priced very well. Should take about 16 weeks for delivery. Yep i know I'm just another aussie jumping on the High $aus but I've checked all the aus designed and built boats and I don't think any of them offer me half the freedom or features of this cracking fish and ski boat.

It seems all ausie boat builders are hell bent on making either great ski boats or great fishing boat with both requiring a lot of reworking to cross them over and you still will miss out of features. I know it can be done on alloy boats but there is just nothing in fibreglass, or not that I could find anyway.

The Stratos 486SF will have 150 Mercury Optimax along with:

- Casting decks front and rear

- air rated livewell

- bow mounted electric upgraded to the 70lb Min Kota

- sounder upgrade to 798 Hummingbrid

- Rod Lockers

- ski package (removable pole and Bimini)

- Covers

- Seats 7

- ice box

- Pro Trim (engine tilt like your car blinkers)

- trailer built to Aus spec

Plus a truck load of other great features.

here is the link if anyone is interested http://www.stratosboats.com/models.cfm?name=486sf#features

Here are a few Pics

post-4925-099300400 1301366199_thumb.jpg

post-4925-011762100 1301366210_thumb.jpg

post-4925-025619500 1301366218_thumb.jpg

post-4925-026218400 1301366229_thumb.jpg

Yep I'm a bit nervous, I don't even buy off online shops so to buy a boat that I've never layed eyes on or walked on and just gone off reviews, forums questions and current owners opinions is a little bit of heart in mouth stuff. To my knowlegde it will be the only 486SF in Australia. Apparently there are 2 x 386SF's its little brother in aus but I've not seen them.

Thanks to a few raider that I've asked qustions of re their boat and importing, it was very helpful. I'm letting Stratos ship it here for me. Figured let the experts do it given they do it all the time with Bass Boats anyway. Funny how many guys say, I'd never import a boat myself again....

Fingers crossed....

Edited by Poddy Trapper

Nice rig PT

I like that style of boat, a mate had the Triton version and handled the harbor chop extremely well. Great for breaming with the leccy but worked the best for drifting baits side on for flatties!

Did you buy direct out of the States or use the local agents here?

Greg

GregL,

Ordering through the guys out Penrith way...yep its more an estuary boat than offshore but the glass hull should handle the botany bay chop mush better than my 3.95 Alley Craft does...mosty of my fishing is done in The Bay, lake conjola, Nambucca river plus the odd road trip to 'Coota, and the south coast estuary's.....but might have to shoot up to Glenbawn at some stage after delivery...

Tritons and Rangers are a great boats too, but were getting up there in $$$

hi pt yes i luv it can i ask if you dont mind how much it costs delivered as im interested ,i havent seen much like it at all you can pm me if you want.but im sure others will be interested to know,hope to see you out there.

hi pt yes i luv it can i ask if you dont mind how much it costs delivered as im interested ,i havent seen much like it at all you can pm me if you want.but im sure others will be interested to know,hope to see you out there.

Mid 40's....quote last year was low $50's...gotta love that $US and crap economy...

Looks like an good all round family/fishing boat mate, best of luck with everything, it's hard to cover all your options with one boat but i think this is as close to perfect for an alround fishing/family boat i have seen :)

• 2 months later...

Boat is on route to the ship....not too long now fingers crossed...interestng to see that both Fishing W and M Fishing did articles on crossover boats last month...

Edited by Poddy Trapper