For Giant Jewfish Fans

PRED-ATOR

G'day Raiders,

Been reading alot lately about giant mulloway being captured off the coast on WA. Indeed they have massive jewfish with some records of 40kg!

The mulloway, however is also found in other parts of the world including the coast of south africa. I have seen pictures and records of mulloway or 'Kob' as the south africans call them of over 66kg!

If they are the same species, why are they getting so much bigger over there? im sure mulloway in Australia have access to the same amount of food and i would imagine commercial and reacreational fishing impact would be the same over there also.

Does anyone know of jewfish grownig that big over here?

G'day Raiders,

Been reading alot lately about giant mulloway being captured off the coast on WA. Indeed they have massive jewfish with some records of 40kg!

The mulloway, however is also found in other parts of the world including the coast of south africa. I have seen pictures and records of mulloway or 'Kob' as the south africans call them of over 66kg!

If they are the same species, why are they getting so much bigger over there? im sure mulloway in Australia have access to the same amount of food and i would imagine commercial and reacreational fishing impact would be the same over there also.

Does anyone know of jewfish grownig that big over here?

Good question Predator, I'm also interested in the below:

On average, why does south Africa grow bigger great whites than we do? Our great white are on average 3-4 Metres in length, the average for South Africa is 4-5 Metres in Length?

:thumbup:

I believe it relates to genetic variations between the two populations over such a long period of time rather than availability of feed or fishing pressures. Its the same in a lot of species, if two populations are completely separated for an extended period each will develop its own different traits including variations in size, colour, etc. Still, perhaps its time for fisheries to import some fingerlings from SA for their stocking programmes :biggrin2: would love to come across a 66kg model!!!!

R

I have seen with my own eyes a fish of 55.45Kgs caught off a beach on the mid north coast. Now it was 38 years ago.

My brother got one 38.6kgs about 12 years ago.

These are two biggest i have seen and we used to fish for them hard and in many locations.

I think this may be right, not only are African fish much larger im sure most women will swear African men are as well :1yikes: lol

Hahaha i like that one. Nice call.

In regards to the topic, i am pretty sure it will be the 'genetic variations between the two populations' as Mr Squidy said

Check this out! 84kg Jewie!!!post-14949-077596000 1301558550_thumb.jpeg

Yeah i seen this today when i did a google image search for giant Kob lol. they keep referring to this fish as a kob even though it was caught in AUS?

he must of rolled it back in the water, there was no way he was going to lift that lol