Fishing down south

Big Berg

Hi Guys,

I am planning to head south for fish off the rocks Saturday morning.

Can anyone please advise me whether it will be a worthwhile trip given that the winds it is forecasted for Southerly winds of 15 knots.

Do any of you know any areas down south where the southerly winds won't impact the fishing greatly.

thanks

Hey Mate, how far south are you going? further than Kiama?

Cheers, Stan

Coalcliff, Hill 60, Port Kembla kind of south?

Mate inner harbour breakwall is good on the ocean side in a southerly as the wind hits it from behind so the water on the ocean side will be calm and if you get a little lower down you will be out of the wind too, good spot for salmon, frigates, bonito and kings but they tend to be closer to the point. Hill 60 will be blowing straight inyo your face. Coalcliff i cant help you with unfortunatley.

Goodluck and stay safe on those rocks!

Musty

Coalcliff, Hill 60, Port Kembla kind of south?

Mate inner harbour breakwall is good on the ocean side in a southerly as the wind hits it from behind so the water on the ocean side will be calm and if you get a little lower down you will be out of the wind too, good spot for salmon, frigates, bonito and kings but they tend to be closer to the point. Hill 60 will be blowing straight inyo your face. Coalcliff i cant help you with unfortunatley.

Goodluck and stay safe on those rocks!

Musty

thanks Musty,

Where abouts is the middle harbour breakwall?

thanks Musty,

Where abouts is the middle harbour breakwall?

Inner harbour breakwall is near the coal loader, outter harbour is at the boat ramp and port control tower/new maritime headquarters.

In a southerly its INNER harbour breakwall you want to fish, on the ocean side. Find some nice comfortable rocks from 2/3 down towards the point, be carefull of holes and gaps between the rocks and concrete blocks, watch out you dont snag up on the lobster trap floats/ropes and get stuck into whatever fish is there on the day!. Tailor is a good option before sunrise. Just please be careful and take your rubbish away with you.

Good luck!

Musty

Does anyone know if fishing is allowed on the Southern or outer breakwall. The one next to the boat ramp.

I was down there last weekend and the northern breakwall where I normally fish was closed for the week. I went to the southern one and the gate was open but there was a sign saying NO UNAUTHORISED entry.

Does anyone know if fishing is allowed on the Southern or outer breakwall. The one next to the boat ramp.

I was down there last weekend and the northern breakwall where I normally fish was closed for the week. I went to the southern one and the gate was open but there was a sign saying NO UNAUTHORISED entry.

yeah you can fish there no problems

yeah you can fish there no problems

Sometimes gates for either Outer or Inner breakwalls can be closed for maintenace and other reasons. But if they are open, you can fish there no problems, great spots for LB Kingies

Thanks for the replies guys. Does anyone know which break wall produces more kingies. Can you also provide the street name. I'm yet to land my first king. I am afraid that I will miss out again so any help will be greatly appreciated. Also what bait and set up works best.

pillies under a weighted float or a livie under an un-weighted float works for me - play the waiting for the float to sink game xD

or you can use white skirts under a float using the cast and retrieve style works as well at times

Sometimes gates for either Outer or Inner breakwalls can be closed for maintenace and other reasons. But if they are open, you can fish there no problems, great spots for LB Kingies

yep when the gates are open

Good spot for lots of tailor around 30-40cm too