Largest stingray you have caught?

PRED-ATOR

G'day Raiders,

Ive caught some faily large rays in my time, and they can really pull hard. After watching episodes river monsters hosted by jeremy wade (my hero) who is playing tug of war with a menkong river giant stingray using game tackle, im really interested to hear all of your massive stingray stories including size and the herioc battle that went underway whilst catching it. I would love to also know about weight and species type, photos would be a bonus.

Cheers, Stan

G'day Raiders,

Ive caught some faily large rays in my time, and they can really pull hard. After watching episodes river monsters hosted by jeremy wade (my hero) who is playing tug of war with a menkong river giant stingray using game tackle, im really interested to hear all of your massive stingray stories including size and the herioc battle that went underway whilst catching it. I would love to also know about weight and species type, photos would be a bonus.

Cheers, Stan

Havnt caught, but seen them as big as car bonnets down kiama way. I think they are awesome creatures albeit a pain in the clacker when bait fishing over sand. Love seeing them swim gracefully.

Musty

Mate 94kg is my best that was with a chunk taken out if it by a whaler, Cooked it up wasn't too horrible, got a decent recipe off of a south african fella which was tops, I've got a couple of pics around somewhere I can dig out. If u ever get hooked up to a bull ray (cow nose) you'll know it they pull like buggery!! And besides what everyone else says they taste bloody good too!!

Mate 94kg is my best that was with a chunk taken out if it by a whaler, Cooked it up wasn't too horrible, got a decent recipe off of a south african fella which was tops, I've got a couple of pics around somewhere I can dig out. If u ever get hooked up to a bull ray (cow nose) you'll know it they pull like buggery!! And besides what everyone else says they taste bloody good too!!

94kg!! thats one big ray mate. the ones in the aquarium are huge aswell i wonder how hard they would pull

Hey Guys.

They do sure put up a damn good fight if caught in advertantly.

Please remember that most of these bigger creatures are local icons, tourist attactions and much loved by their respective local communities. Kiama included.

Basically they are the hoovers of the sea and will eat anything put in front of them. So not much of a challange there.

I believe there has been a few posts on this subject before.

Mods ?

Trapper Tom

Hey Guys.

They do sure put up a damn good fight if caught in advertantly.

Please remember that most of these bigger creatures are local icons, tourist attactions and much loved by their respective local communities. Kiama included.

Basically they are the hoovers of the sea and will eat anything put in front of them. So not much of a challange there.

I believe there has been a few posts on this subject before.

Mods ?

Trapper Tom

Agree with you there trapper tom, they certainly are icons and majectic creatures. I love going down to narooma board walk and watching these giants glide past. They truely are awesome creatures

I hooked a whopper from the rocks near me some years back - the water was absolutely gin clear & I could see it clearly, powering away. I swear it would have been easily 6ft across from wing tip to wing tip (probably more) and my surf rod was bent in half, with line peeling from it. Instead of losing all my line to the monster, I chose to bust it off, which is what I did.

They have immense power when they head out to sea!! :1yikes:

Roberta

Yeah your not wrong Roberta, when i was watching river monsters on discovery chanel, there was a story of a guy who took 6 hours to bring the fish up! 3 guys took 2 hour shifts on pulling the ray up! and the shape of their body gives them a huge advantage aswell.

I think it would be awesome to go to battle with a fish of that strength, but personally no matter how tired i was i couldnt hand he rod over to someone else hahaha