buying new gear

Rayy

Hi, im starting to rock fish with a couple of mates and was wondering what gear i should buy?

After looking at some rods i reckon that the Shimano Aero Wave Graphite would be the best one suited to my needs. Is that a good rod? Which one should i get? There are 4 different models. What one should be the best suited for rock fishing chasing mostly kingfish and salmon?

http://www.shimanofish.com.au/publish/content/global_fish/en/au/index/products/rods/Beach/Aero_Wave_Graphite.html

Also what reel would be good for my needs aswell?

Sorry about the overload of questions but i'll appreciate the help!

Edited by Rayy

Hi Ray,

Pending how clumsy you are if at all. I have dropped a couple of graphite rods on the rocks and it doesn't do them any good. You can get a glass rod in the aerowave range for about half the price if your only starting out. The convenience of the one you mentioned is it is a 3 piece rod and easy to carry.

I recently bought the light surf aerowave in graphie composite for bream and the like and it's a good rod. The graphite composite range of rods is priced in between the graphite and fibreglass range of aerowave rods.

Okuma x factor are a great rod also which are graphite and equipped with fuji guides and reel seat.

Cheers

Pete.

Thanks for the info!

Yea, i had a look around again at different types of rods and i changed my mind about getting a graphite rod. Since im just starting out ill go for the fibreglass rods as it wont break as easily as the graphite ones so now ill be choosing between one of the aerowave glass rods. Which one should i get out of the different models? should i just get the one with the highest line rating?

Also, what reel should i get with this? I was looking at the shimano spinning reels and have no idea which one i should get?

g'day mate

just my 2 cents here - and i wish someone told me when i first started... Sure its nice to have nice gear, but how often will you use it, how well will you look after it, and how much are you planning on spending ?

just remember that top gear isnt going to get you bigger fish

considering your rock / beach fishing - this is considered the most hard wearing type of fishing on gear. Sand/dirt gets in the reel gears, reel gets a drink in salt water, rods get dropped, scratched and nicks (leading to sharp edges and line breaks) etc etc etc

have you checked out the swap and sell section on this site - i read this last week and was so tempted on the last 2 items... but i already own 2 rock outfits

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=55138

Before you even think about a rod factor in about $60-70 for a good pair of rock shoes. They're an absolute must or rock fishing!!!

Also, it's a good idea to get a life jacket too. Auto inflate is better, but a manual inflate one is ok too. If you're new to rock fishing you may not be that good at reading the waves and knowing when to go for hugh ground, that's when you can come unstuck. Its pretty cheap insurance really...

Before you even think about a rod factor in about $60-70 for a good pair of rock shoes. They're an absolute must or rock fishing!!!

Also, it's a good idea to get a life jacket too. Auto inflate is better, but a manual inflate one is ok too. If you're new to rock fishing you may not be that good at reading the waves and knowing when to go for hugh ground, that's when you can come unstuck. Its pretty cheap insurance really...

Very well put safety comes first

Edited by David265

yes, i will be definitely getting a pair of rock fishing boots and i'm currently looking at the Adrenaline rock spike fishing boots.

as for the swap and sell section, i cant seem to find it and the link doesn't work.

Thanks for the info!

Yea, i had a look around again at different types of rods and i changed my mind about getting a graphite rod. Since im just starting out ill go for the fibreglass rods as it wont break as easily as the graphite ones so now ill be choosing between one of the aerowave glass rods. Which one should i get out of the different models? should i just get the one with the highest line rating?

Also, what reel should i get with this? I was looking at the shimano spinning reels and have no idea which one i should get?

Hi Ray,

Re: which one, below is the info on all aerowave glass rods,

Model Length Pieces Rating Lure Weight

Light Surf 3.66m 2pc 4-8kg 1/2-3oz

Medium Surf 3.66m 2pc 5-8kg 1-4oz

Heavy Surf 3.66m 2pc 6-12kg 2-6oz

Medium Surf WB 3.78m 2pc 5-8kg 1-4oz

Med-Hvy Surf WB 3.78m 2pc 6-10kg 2-5oz

Heavy Surf WB 3.78m 2pc 6-12kg 2-6oz

The ones with WB in the description have a sand spike which is what i would go for and seriously - all these rods are under $100 so not much in the grand scheme of things. Either the Med-hvy to hvy rod pending what you want to catch. As for the reel - perhaps a penn spinfisher 650, not a bad reel to start with.

How about a penn spinfisher 650. there going for around the 120 mark i think.

I had purchased an angler azagaie 12ft rod for $74 which is rated 8-12kg for rock fishing when it's wet. Great blank but built with cheap compoents i.e. guides, real set, does the job but i fish from the beach with my snyder or gary howard. These rods are upwards of 200.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Pete.