Kayak fishing middle harbour

2kgline

Went out for a quick paddle in the kayak today started late 9:30 (due to poor tide) this is against all my rules normally I have a very early start. Went to my favourite middle harbour (Sydney harbour) bream spot. I like this spot because I have never seen anyone else ever fish it. As you will see from the photo very productive. Released many more than I kept also had a large number of bust offs. This is what happens with 4lb line in 60cm of water over oysters. I have seen many very large bream in this area and judging from the screaming drag many saw my bait today. The surprise catch was a salmon (yes in 60cm of water) taken on prawn on 4lb line and size 1 circle hook, I thought the drag was going to explode and I had hooked the mother of all bream. I think landing it was more the salmons stupidity than my skill with all the structure around I don’t know how he didn’t bust me off, took about 10 minutes and 100 meters of line out (I had new line this week so could give it some stick). Unfortunately I was anchored so couldn’t let him drag me into the deeper water.

By the way if anyone likes mullet they are also around in very large numbers (I don’t fish for them).

Some one asked me about my setup last week so I have posted a photo. Yes if you look carefully that is a big game rod with 100 lb braid. I generally down rig when travelling between spots optimistically look for that last end of season big king.

post-13182-021363600 1302338451_thumb.jpg

post-13182-088380400 1302338471_thumb.jpg

Pretty sure it is some type of bonito there was a big school on the surface. It was an accidental catch that strayed into the shallows. I was going to chase them but was having to much fun with the sneaky bream. It was a good fight on the light gear, but did waste some bream time. The positive note it added to the species list that I have caught from the kayak. So far Bream, snapper, trevally, salmon, king fish, flathead (dusky and tiger), tailor, whiting, leather jacket (I actually target them) and of course the usual assortment of sand rays eels and other junk.

Well done, great fishing for the middle fo the day. All yak fish are fun. Is that a watsons leaping bonnie in the piccy, bit hard to tell?

David

Nice effort there.

I have the same yak and a very similar setup.

I think Ive got the same sounder, but have mounted it up on top of the centre console lid. How do you find having the Sounder in the compartment between your legs? Is it easy enough to read? In the position I have mine, it gets wet easily and a wet screen makes it very difficult to read. If I can keep it dry its a top position.

The sounder is easy to read the only issue is in big seas when you get a lot of water in yak this well tends to fill up with water. As you have the same yak try this water pump if you want to use you live bait tank it screws straight into the drain hole (push hard), past this link in you web browser

http://cgi.############/DC-Submersible-Water-Pump-12V-Aquarium-Fountain-Pond-1A-/320672214045?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa98dac1d

You need a short tube in the outlet start the pump suck on the tube and away it goes. Fresh water no need for an air pump. Next season if there is enough interest and when I have more experience (this is my first season in the kayak) I would like to see if we (us kayak fish heads) could start our own forum/discussion report group on this site.

PS. I also have a Ocean Kayak prowler 4.5 I prefer the Viking as it has more space and is more stable however the Prowler is faster and is much better in rough seas and wind.

Nice effort there.

I have the same yak and a very similar setup.

I think Ive got the same sounder, but have mounted it up on top of the centre console lid. How do you find having the Sounder in the compartment between your legs? Is it easy enough to read? In the position I have mine, it gets wet easily and a wet screen makes it very difficult to read. If I can keep it dry its a top position.

The sounder is easy to read the only issue is in big seas when you get a lot of water in yak this well tends to fill up with water. Next season if there is enough interest and when I have more experience (this is my first season in the kayak) I would like to see if we (us kayak fish heads) could start our own forum/discussion report group on this site.

PS. I also have a Ocean Kayak prowler 4.5 I prefer the Viking as it has more space and is more stable however the Prowler is faster and is much better in rough seas and wind.

Edited by 2kgline