Hawkesbury Firing

sinbad66

seems hawkesbury/Lion Island is going off at the moment

last 2 days mate has got Tailor/Trevalley/Flathead/Spanish mackeral [70 odd cm] some thumping bream 40cm /bonito and lost a big 90plus Kingie also some squid about

Wish i could get out there

Good luck to those that do

Thats good to hear,

Ill be heading out there easter saturday lets hope the weather is good.What was the spanish caught on and where?

Are there any good spots to pick up some yakkas?

Regards

You'll get heaps of yakkas just on the right as you turn right into pittwater from flint and steel. Think the spot is referred to as the "pill box". Cant miss it, there'll be 50 other boats there doing the same!. Just throw some burley in and they'll come to you.

Wish it was like that last week when i was out there twice, first day a 70CM jewie was caught and a lot of small snapper and tailor and that was it, then the second day there was no bites and a lot of boats drifting around and i only managed a 46CM flathead.

Edited by defyet

Sorry this will be the first time I'll be hitting the hawkesbury. I'll be dropping the boat at mooney mooney bridge could you tell me where the flint and steel are. Is that near the rail bridge?

Cheers guys

Sorry this will be the first time I'll be hitting the hawkesbury. I'll be dropping the boat at mooney mooney bridge could you tell me where the flint and steel are. Is that near the rail bridge?

Cheers guys

If you want to go to flint and steel, you would be better to use the Parsley Bay boat ramp..then you head straight out towards the mouth of the river...Look for all the other boats.. Mooney mooney is a good ramp, however the current can be very strong which makes it hard at times launching.. As well as being a few kms futher from where you want to go

Use google earth and look up Patonga, NSW. Flint and steel is directly opposite Patonga. If you then head out to sea from there about 100metres up you will see there is a right hand turn into pittwater. You get the yakkas just around the corner in pittwater (about 20metres into pittwater) on the right. NSW maritime website have marine charts of the area that you can view in PDF format that shows the area pretty well. Would be worth having a look at that or even printing it and taking it with you if its your first time there.

Cheers

...and no, it isn't near the rail bridge. If you drop in at mooney mooney...Go under the freeway, then go under the rail bridge, go past dangar island, go straight ahead for about 200m then turn left at juno point as if you were heading out to sea. Patonga is about 200m up on the left, (give me a wave as I'll be camping at Patonga from tomorrow :D ). and Flint and steel is about 200m up on the right (opposite Patonga) and the right turn into pittwater is another 100m up.

Good luck!

Edited by insomniac92

...and no, it isn't near the rail bridge. If you drop in at mooney mooney...Go under the freeway, then go under the rail bridge, go past dangar island, go straight ahead for about 200m then turn left at juno point as if you were heading out to sea. Patonga is about 200m up on the left, (give me a wave as I'll be camping at Patonga from tomorrow :D ). and Flint and steel is about 200m up on the right (opposite Patonga) and the right turn into pittwater is another 100m up.

Good luck!

Are you camping on the beach?? i am thinking of trying Patonga for some flatties.. I will give you a wave :thumbup: I am thinking of staying around the area Saturday night and was thinking of pitching a tent on a beach somewhere??/

Edited by yarraone

Hi yarraone,

Nah mate, there is a big campground just behind the beach which is where I am staying. Its run by the council. We stayed there last easter as well and the kids had a ball. I'm not sure if you are allowed to just camp on that beach but I have seen people camping on the beach directly across the bay from Patonga. Guess there's no harm in trying though.

The only problem for me there is that there is no phone service for Optus, which means there's no internet either....so no fishraider for a week! I'll be having withdrawal symptoms by the time I get back!

Another thing... There is an area just around in pittwater that you can camp at called The Basin where you can basically just rock up and pitch a tent if there are spots available.

Cheers

That sounds great.. I will have a look :thumbup:

last 2 days mate has got Tailor/Trevalley/Flathead/Spanish mackeral [70 odd cm] some thumping bream 40cm /bonito and lost a big 90plus Kingie also some squid about

Spanish mackeral [70 odd cm] you sure? Off Lion Island i presume, not a spotted?

in the past week I have personally seen Spanish and spotties caught, (one of the mongrels cut off my favorite trolling lure).Also Hairtail are being taken on the close in reefs ,so get stuck in before the pros get em.And plenty of small Mack Tuna in the bay .

Fished Nth east of Lion yesterday 18th, got nothing drifting so I anchored up and burlyed heavily and it went off for 2 hours Tailor one after the other up to 60cm, a few Aussi salmon, a big Bonito, even a flounder as well as being bitten of at least 5 times! My anchor drifted and suddenly went dead. All fish caught on pilchards, I threw plastics as well but they were no good on the day. No photos but there is Taylor on tonight's menu.

So from my point of view definately going off but my tip has to be BURLEY!

Cheers

PS. I would love to have seen a mackeral!

Fished Nth east of Lion yesterday 18th, got nothing drifting so I anchored up and burlyed heavily and it went off for 2 hours Tailor one after the other up to 60cm, a few Aussi salmon, a big Bonito, even a flounder as well as being bitten of at least 5 times! My anchor drifted and suddenly went dead. All fish caught on pilchards, I threw plastics as well but they were no good on the day. No photos but there is Taylor on tonight's menu.

Cheers

sorry thought burley was a given!

Cheers

Hi - just out of interest, were you just drifting pilchards down the burley trail?

Dave

I got them at flint amd steel and nur i let them go cause i dont eat fish.only take my camera when i do land base fishing cause i lost my last camera /fone in the drink i was fishing with mullet