Narrabeen Beach North

JimT

Spent last night from 5pm till 2am for 1 tailor (38 cm), missed a couple of runs and had one almightly hit, shake and then nothing....bit thru wire trace. all the action happened up to about 9pm then went dead :thumbdown:

Edited by jot

Hi jot, I was out there Thursday night as well by the surf lifesaving club and had similar results, two tailor and a trevally. It was weird because the tides and moon looked promising, I had one big fresh tailor fillet out on a wire trace and a pillie out on the other rod. The only thing that struck me was that there didn't seem to be much tide running. it was a beautiful night anyway and I will be back for my first beach Jew/shark, maybe I will see you out there.

Dave

Hi jot, I was out there Thursday night as well by the surf lifesaving club and had similar results, two tailor and a trevally. It was weird because the tides and moon looked promising, I had one big fresh tailor fillet out on a wire trace and a pillie out on the other rod. The only thing that struck me was that there didn't seem to be much tide running. it was a beautiful night anyway and I will be back for my first beach Jew/shark, maybe I will see you out there.

Dave

I was just south of you about 100m. As the tide went out a north current ripped in , 4 oz lead plus a whole yellowtail or squid was being pushed along at the rate of knots. On the way home I spent about 1/2 hour on the shop side of Pittwater road bridge on the lake for a pan sized bream on salted pillies.

I was out at Dee Why on Friday morning - not really any gutter to speak of, just 100m of gently sloping-away beach. I eventually got a good bream right up at the very north end where there was finally a bit of a hole. It took a live mullet on size 8 hooks.

Today, I went by Dee Why and Curl Curl at low tide to see any developing holes in the big surf - Dee Why was still looking pretty flat, although a decent hole directly infront of the surf club at the south end. The mullet are making a run out of the lagoon at high tide at night, but still, no holes there to hold them.

Curl Curl was looking like more potential: today there was massive surf rolling in and churning up the sand. Long holes leading directly into the beach seem to be forming there.

When the wind calms down, it should be a decent bit of fishing off most south-facing beaches.

BB

Spent last night from 5pm till 2am for 1 tailor (38 cm), missed a couple of runs and had one almightly hit, shake and then nothing....bit thru wire trace. all the action happened up to about 9pm then went dead :thumbdown:

You were "sharked" for sure jot. Some big boys out there at the moment. Also ditch the wire trace if you want any chance of getting a jew.

I was just south of you about 100m. As the tide went out a north current ripped in , 4 oz lead plus a whole yellowtail or squid was being pushed along at the rate of knots. On the way home I spent about 1/2 hour on the shop side of Pittwater road bridge on the lake for a pan sized bream on salted pillies.

most probably try again tomorrow night

Edited by jot

I hit Dee Why first up this morning, not long after low tide. Dee Why was showing good holes on the surf-cams, but when I got there, I couldn't find any holes close enough to shore to get my bait into. (that said, if I'd been going for whiting, there were a few promising small holes in close, with the current running parallel to the beach).

So I headed over to Curl Curl and found a nice rip coming off the beach into a deep hole. Just before dawn, on the first cast, I landed a flattie. Right after sunrise, I caught one tailor and dropped two other fish which I'd guess were tailor. As the tide came in, the fish went off the bite. I noticed that the rip seemed to have moved up the beach, and was now running out over a bit of a washy sandbar. I moved over and cast into the wash at the center of the rip, and sure enough, there was a bream. Dinner served!

Each fish was on the smallish side: 36 cm for the sand flathead, 33 cm for the tailor and 28 cm for the bream. All were caught on three #3 ganged hooks and whole pillies with a 20lb trace in case of larger tailor and a star sinker.

post-8116-060776000 1303343314_thumb.jpg