Warning about Oysters...

Fisherman36

Hi all,

Just a warning to everyone regarding oyster shells....

I was away camping last week, and on Thursday afternoon (I was due to come home on Friday), I was wading through about 5ft of water near the bank of the river. I knew there were oysters on the trees near the shore but thought I was far enough out to avoid any obstacles. Unfortunately I walked straight into a tree root and cut my shin pretty bad on what I think was any oyster shell.

Being a typical male... I just washed it off, applied detol (while biting on a stick!!), and bandaged it tight to stop the bleeding. I got home on Friday and spent until Tuesday re-dressing it and disinfecting it.

Anyway, on Tuesday afternoon I decided I'd better go to hospital and just get them to check it out as it was pretty deep, just to make sure I was "doing the right thing"...

Well, I just got home from spending two and a half days lying in a hospital bed on while they pumped antibiotics into me through a drip to kill the infection that had started....I didnt even know it was infected when I went to see them...to me it didnt even look red around it, sure it hurt like hell to walk (and still does), but it was just a nasty cut...so I thought!

And, being so long since it happened they won't stitch it either... so I have to just let it close up and heal itself.... I won't post a pic :wacko:

Anyway, this is just a warning... even a scratch from one of these things can cause a nasty infection... so please be careful, and don't be an idiot and do what I did and just "suck it up", expecting it to fix itself... And if you do get a scratch or a cut from one of these, keep a close eye out for infection.

Cheers

Edited by insomniac92

Yeah oyster cuts suck, specially on the bottom of the foot!

I have a cut mark about 6cm long across the bottom of my right foot. Big crease/valley there still and that was over 10 years ago.

Wading now and the cut still is the first thing to open if I'm not careful when I have pruney feet from being in the water to long!

Always wear shoes wading!

Greg

Yeah I actually had shoes on, and I'm always warning the kids to be careful of the oysters! Didnt expect to cop one in the shin though. May have to wear shoes AND shin guards next time! We should have swam like we originally planned, but my 11yr old wasn't keen so she was on my back which probably added to the force of me walking into it and that probably made it worse than it would have been. Lesson learnt!

Yeah oyster cuts suck, specially on the bottom of the foot!

I have a cut mark about 6cm long across the bottom of my right foot. Big crease/valley there still and that was over 10 years ago.

Wading now and the cut still is the first thing to open if I'm not careful when I have pruney feet from being in the water to long!

Always wear shoes wading!

Greg

Quick question, when you buy a proper wadeing suite, does it not come with a waterproof set of boots that connect to the wadeing suite. So that way your basically completely dry and protected from anything that could be hovering around your feet and any reef or oysters. Thats just what I got from wadeing, so im gonna head out and buy a wadeing suite. But does it actually have the boots that connect to the suite to make it completely water tight ? I dunno but ill have to check.

Cheers,

Jez