Daiwa Saltist 6500H, Daiwa Procaster 2500

Hey Raiders,

Its ticking over 6 months now with my Daiwa Saltist 6500H and im sure its time for a complete overhaul.

The reel has done countless beach and rock fishing sessions, also a few boat trips and countless ammount of jew fishing from wharfs and estuarie beaches.

I know how to do the basic clean, which is pull of the actual spool and clean the sand and dirt that gets trapped in there and re-grease the shaft.

But other then that I have no clue on how to service the rest of the reel. Also if possible am I able to upgrade the drag washer's to carbontex at the same time.

Also I might as well ask at the same time about my smaller reel which is a Daiwa 2500 Procaster. I use this reel consistently where ever I go. If im jew fishing its my bait rod, if im breaming its my main setup, whiting main setup, basically all the smaller fish I use this setup for. Yeah I know I should probably buy another smaller setup but Im in the market for a boat, so ill get that organized before i worry about any more setups.

So basically for the mean time I wanna know how to service this reel also. Its full of dirt and muck, possibly some sand. Its got a bit of grinding sounds now and the bail when flipped has the same feeling. This reel definately needs a total overhaul.

So if anyone knows much about these 2 daiwa reels and has knowledge on overhauling and maintenance would be highly appreciated.

Cheers Raiders,

Jez

G'day Jez,

I don't have either of those 2 reels but servicing spin reels is nearly always about following a standard procedure. Make sure you have the schematics at hand, then carefully disassemble the reel, keeping all the parts lined up in the order and orientation they were removed. Once it's all disassembled, clean everything, lube everything, put everything back together in the reverse order you removed it.

Any bearings that aren't running perfectly can be replaced (along with any parts that are worn or damaged to the point where they effect the reel's performance).

If you read through any of the spin reel tutorials in the forum then you'll see they all follow this procedure.

If you're not 100% confident then I'd advise you not to start on your favourite reels until you have some more experience. Practice on reels you don't care so much about. The alternative is to send them off for a service to Daiwa. They'll service the reels and replace any parts.

By the sounds of it, the Procaster might need a bearing or two replaced. If it's as rough as you say and full of crud then other problems might need fixing too.

As for the Carbontex drag upgrades, you won't find sets specifically listed for those reels but if you get in touch with...

http://www.smoothdrag.com/

(as always, please note that this web link has been allowed courtesy of admin)

... they have a comprehensive range of washers. You'll need to accurately measure the washers in the reels at the moment (using digital calipers... a ruler isn't accurate enough).

Here's a pdf of a list of sizes I know they have:

Carbontex_washer_sizes.pdf

Cheers, Slinky

G'day Jez,

I don't have either of those 2 reels but servicing spin reels is nearly always about following a standard procedure. Make sure you have the schematics at hand, then carefully disassemble the reel, keeping all the parts lined up in the order and orientation they were removed. Once it's all disassembled, clean everything, lube everything, put everything back together in the reverse order you removed it.

Any bearings that aren't running perfectly can be replaced (along with any parts that are worn or damaged to the point where they effect the reel's performance).

If you read through any of the spin reel tutorials in the forum then you'll see they all follow this procedure.

If you're not 100% confident then I'd advise you not to start on your favourite reels until you have some more experience. Practice on reels you don't care so much about. The alternative is to send them off for a service to Daiwa. They'll service the reels and replace any parts.

By the sounds of it, the Procaster might need a bearing or two replaced. If it's as rough as you say and full of crud then other problems might need fixing too.

As for the Carbontex drag upgrades, you won't find sets specifically listed for those reels but if you get in touch with...

http://www.smoothdrag.com/

(as always, please note that this web link has been allowed courtesy of admin)

... they have a comprehensive range of washers. You'll need to accurately measure the washers in the reels at the moment (using digital calipers... a ruler isn't accurate enough).

Here's a pdf of a list of sizes I know they have:

Carbontex_washer_sizes.pdf

Cheers, Slinky

Cheers for that slinky !! Atleast i know what i should be doing now, which will basically be send away the procaster. Im guessin at the state its in it will need parts replaced. But the saltist is still in top condition, just needs a real good clean and should be good. So ill go through the forum again n have a look at some of the other tutorials and hopefully should help a bit more.

Cheers again slinky

jez