Port Hacking (Soapy) Jews

GCC

Hi all

Fished Port hacking this evening in my kayak and managed my first every jew fish. Actually, I caught two, both were about an inch over legal size. I caught them on squid strips.

Unfortunately, when I got back to the boat ramp a guy putting his boat in saw my fish and had a bit of a go at me for keeping them. He wasn't too bad about it (and actually offered to give me a hand with my kayak afterwards). But, he was right and I shouldn't have kept them, amongst other reasons, because apparently they aren't too good to eat at this size anyway. I think I was just so excited about catching jewies for the first time and also wanting to eat them for the first time that I forgot about them being soapies. I won't keep them at this size again.

Anyway, now that they're dead, I might as well make the best use out of them. If anyone can please pm me with a recipe to cook them I'd be most grateful. I don't want to encourage others to eat them at this size, but then again I don't want to use these for bait or feed them to the dog either.

Cheers

Glenn

mate if they were of legal size then you have done nothing wrong so dont be so hard on yourself. before they put the size limit up they use to be 38cm legal, at this length they definately werent the best to eat and the flesh is quite soft and mushy but these days at 45cm they are quite nice in my opinion.--- enjoy! and congratulations on your first jew!

pete

the sooner the size limit is increased to at the very least 55-60cm the better. then we will actually see a decent jewie fishery, i mean they can grow to 40kg+ and we can keep them at less than a kilo? keeping soapies is legal, yes, but theyre definitely babies.

Edited by SAfisho

Mate Congrats on the Jew,

There's always a bit of guilt when you keep something just on legal, then i think about all the lowlives who take bucketfulls of undersize fish and i feel better. if the size limit was 60 and you took one 61cms you'd feel the same.

although i reckon an increase in the size limit to a few species wouldnt hurt.

being your first one and two jewies i reckon you deserve it :thumbup: I skinned and filleted my first one about that size dusted it in seasoned flour and cooked in butter, only need a short cooking time and it tasted pretty good,its hard to mess up fresh fish.

Congrats again m, first jew is a awesome felling, enjoy it mate

Morgs

Congrats on your first jews!!!

The size limits are there to be followed and you did just that so that's good enough for me.

My first was not far off legal and there were no complaints on the taste either

good on you and look forward to your future posts,

Regards,

Nathan

congratulations on your first jew capture - you did not break the rules but as you catch more of them you will throw back the smaller ones even though legal.

With my experience I feel that the size limit should increase to 70cm plus with a per person limit of 3 fish each.

I have caught many jew around 50 to 60cm in lenth and I always let these go to give them a chance to grow.

Nothing wrong with takin a feed - congratulations.

twin 1 :thumbup:

Hi all

Fished Port hacking this evening in my kayak and managed my first every jew fish. Actually, I caught two, both were about an inch over legal size. I caught them on squid strips.

Unfortunately, when I got back to the boat ramp a guy putting his boat in saw my fish and had a bit of a go at me for keeping them. He wasn't too bad about it (and actually offered to give me a hand with my kayak afterwards). But, he was right and I shouldn't have kept them, amongst other reasons, because apparently they aren't too good to eat at this size anyway. I think I was just so excited about catching jewies for the first time and also wanting to eat them for the first time that I forgot about them being soapies. I won't keep them at this size again.

Anyway, now that they're dead, I might as well make the best use out of them. If anyone can please pm me with a recipe to cook them I'd be most grateful. I don't want to encourage others to eat them at this size, but then again I don't want to use these for bait or feed them to the dog either.

Cheers

Glenn

Congratulations and welcome to the jewfish addiction.

I see nothing wrong keeping legal fish for the table,i guess the fisho at the wharf must catch 10kg+ jews on every trip.

As for the eating quality they are fine FRESH just put in the oven and bake whole.

Keep the reports coming mate definately a good time for jew in the hacking next couple of days , Goodluck.

chris.

I was down there last night fishing the wharf. I was trying to will a nice big jew on to my livie. So that was you cleaning your fish on the ramp...I wanted to go and have a sticky beak but was too busy packing up. I wouldn't worry about that guy. I don't have a boat or a yak so I have no qualms about keeping a few (legal) fish. My policy is if i'm going to eat them in the the next 24hr I'll keep em. other wise it's just practice.

Anyway, now that they're dead, I might as well make the best use out of them. If anyone can please pm me with a recipe to cook them I'd be most grateful.mate, the best way to cook is as follows:

Place the whole fish on a bed of thinly sliced lemon in alfoil(stops the fish sticking to the foil). Make up a marinade of garlic, fresh chilli, sliced schallots,teaspoon of crushed ginger and about 1/4 cup of Soy Sauce with about 2 tablespoons of Keecap Manus or HoySin sauce. Spoon marinade over the fish and seal the alfoil.Place on medium barbecue for about 20 - 25 mins - then bring over to my place with a cold six-pack.

Cheers,

Tuffy

Edited by Tuffy

. Spoon marinade over the fish and seal the alfoil.Place on medium barbecue for about 20 - 25 mins - then bring over to my place with a cold six-pack.

Cheers,

Tuffy

:074: ha ha bringing over the fish and a cold six pack , what a deal !!

morgs

Edited by M()RGS