Harbour and Long Reef 02/05/2011

PRED-ATOR

G'day Raiders,

Had the day off yesterday so me n my mate Bill head out to the harbour. We have been planning to go on a week day for a while on a less than average day as the harbour is empty which means we can go scouting for new fishing spots.

Loaded the boat up with all the gear and the underwater camera, set the sounder to zoom and super sensitive and off we went.

Fist, was to find some new bait grounds AND THAT WE DID, found a new spot with more yakkas than i have ever seen in one spot. I put out my home made burley and they went crazy. I filled the live well up with 15 Yakkas in 5 minutes. We could of kept going but i only took what i needed. Yakkas were caught on Red squidgy Wrigglers and some left over squid strips from the previous trip. (funny story - i opened the live well at one point in time and a yakka jumped straight out and back into the water LOL).

We then marked the points on the gps/chartplotter and scouted some more. We scouted all around the harbour and found some great spots holding some mega salmon so we threw out some GULP jerk shads in the tandoori and nuclear chicken on really light gear (2LB braid with 4lb leader), within a couple of seconds i was on to some good salmon.

We then moved to another spot, checked the underwater camera and could see the bottom was alive with some good sized bream and trevally. (didnt pay much attention to this as trevally are EVERYWHERE at the moment), was good fun on light gear though so stayed there for about 1 hour and caught between us about 35-40 Trevally and Snapper, all still on soft plastics.

We headed out to long reef and set the underwater camera looking all around the reef and any surrounding structure and found a couple of kings, not very big though but there was a good bunch of them sitting around a particular structure so i marked it on the gps and threw down a couple of 200gm jigs. They werent interested so we moved on. Found a couple of other spots so the GPS has now got some new good marks : )

Went back in the harbour and chased salmon around the sow and pigs reef hooked up on some beautys around the wedding cake, again on 2lb braid with 4lb leader. Bought this one up and it had a bite taken out of the side of its head. It was so tired after fighting it for about 5 minutes so my mate took it home to eat.

All in all it was a great day, please see my pics below - i hope you can see the big Ray on the underwater cam, my phone camera is pretty dodgy : (

Enjoy the read, Stan

post-16847-074608700 1304376379_thumb.jpgpost-16847-027778300 1304376391_thumb.jpgpost-16847-066562600 1304376404_thumb.jpgpost-16847-037162000 1304376418_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRED-ATOR

Hi Stan,

Great report mate! It must be pretty neat having a underwater camera!

I just love the idea of travelling around the harbour and findning your own spots, instead of going to the well-known ones :thumbup: Likewise, the sambo's must have gone pretty well on 2lb!

Top effort,

Mike

Thanks Mike,

Yeah its great to find your own spots the underwater cameras is awesome, quick question i seem to be having some problems posting up pictures, were you able to see my pics i nthe post?

Cheers

No Worries at all Stan,

That GT was taken off the remote Kandavu Islands in Fiji - It was my first ever GT and almost killed me! Me estimated him around 40kg+. The footage is insane!!

Cheers,

Mike

Mate my parents are from fiji, and me and my dad pull these in with handlines when we go down there. We get laughed at by our relatives when we bring rod and reels over hahaha. I understand your pain these things are monsters. I had so much fun catching these (or should i say getting busted off by these) when i was at hamilton island. Great catch mate

G'day Raiders,

Had the day off yesterday so me n my mate Bill head out to the harbour. We have been planning to go on a week day for a while on a less than average day as the harbour is empty which means we can go scouting for new fishing spots.

Loaded the boat up with all the gear and the underwater camera, set the sounder to zoom and super sensitive and off we went.

Fist, was to find some new bait grounds AND THAT WE DID, found a new spot with more yakkas than i have ever seen in one spot. I put out my home made burley and they went crazy. I filled the live well up with 15 Yakkas in 5 minutes. We could of kept going but i only took what i needed. Yakkas were caught on Red squidgy Wrigglers and some left over squid strips from the previous trip. (funny story - i opened the live well at one point in time and a yakka jumped straight out and back into the water LOL).

We then marked the points on the gps/chartplotter and scouted some more. We scouted all around the harbour and found some great spots holding some mega salmon so we threw out some GULP jerk shads in the tandoori and nuclear chicken on really light gear (2LB braid with 4lb leader), within a couple of seconds i was on to some good salmon.

We then moved to another spot, checked the underwater camera and could see the bottom was alive with some good sized bream and trevally. (didnt pay much attention to this as trevally are EVERYWHERE at the moment), was good fun on light gear though so stayed there for about 1 hour and caught between us about 35-40 Trevally and Snapper, all still on soft plastics.

We headed out to long reef and set the underwater camera looking all around the reef and any surrounding structure and found a couple of kings, not very big though but there was a good bunch of them sitting around a particular structure so i marked it on the gps and threw down a couple of 200gm jigs. They werent interested so we moved on. Found a couple of other spots so the GPS has now got some new good marks : )

Went back in the harbour and chased salmon around the sow and pigs reef hooked up on some beautys around the wedding cake, again on 2lb braid with 4lb leader. Bought this one up and it had a bite taken out of the side of its head. It was so tired after fighting it for about 5 minutes so my mate took it home to eat.

All in all it was a great day, please see my pics below - i hope you can see the big Ray on the underwater cam, my phone camera is pretty dodgy : (

Enjoy the read, Stan

post-16847-074608700 1304376379_thumb.jpgpost-16847-027778300 1304376391_thumb.jpgpost-16847-066562600 1304376404_thumb.jpgpost-16847-037162000 1304376418_thumb.jpg

What a great way to fish :thumbup:Great pics, always nice to find new turf

chris

You will find that the Salmon had a health weakness which you can tell from its body shape not solid and was easy prey for a large squid to get a chunk out of him especially around the head area where the meat is sweeter and at the same time paralise the fish that's nature. Saw one the other day same shape and chunk missing swimming in circles so i netted it and put it out for some several baits. Well done on the camera...looks like we are moving to another level, interesting. Cheers cg.

Hey CG,

Interesting observation there. From the way this bugger was pulling and the way he smashed the lure he didnt seem unhealthy at all LOL.

I did notice that scar on his head, i assumed it was from a mulloway possibly.

I wonder how big the swuid was that done that to him?!

Hey CG,

Interesting observation there. From the way this bugger was pulling and the way he smashed the lure he didnt seem unhealthy at all LOL.

I did notice that scar on his head, i assumed it was from a mulloway possibly.

I wonder how big the swuid was that done that to him?!

Awesome report mate....too bad there were no kings around

Awesome report mate....too bad there were no kings around

Mate,

I got your reply about wanting to tag along when i checked my profile today! : ( sorry mate, next time aye.

Did you end up going fishing on the weekend?

G'day guys a bit off topic but saw a fishing show man vs fish where an aprox 80kg striped marlin was taken by a giant squid...can't remember its name but was on the fish for 2-5mins before letting go...the marlin was pretty much skinned and had some huge (roughly 300mm) beak/bite marks. Was amazing footage. Sorry once again for hijacking the post but you see some amazing stuff on the water

Cheers Leo

Mate,

I got your reply about wanting to tag along when i checked my profile today! : ( sorry mate, next time aye.

Did you end up going fishing on the weekend?

No worries mate.

Nah I didn't end up going on the weekend. The weather and massive swells were too much for me.

Sounds like you had a very productive day.

Yeah if you ever have room just let me know.

Underwater Camera?

Give me a break, why don't you just throw a stick of dynamite in the harbour like Dundee did...

:074:

Unless you're making a living from fishing you should only have a sounder that does depth and shows bait schools and structure...

Underwater Camera?

Give me a break, why don't you just throw a stick of dynamite in the harbour like Dundee did...

:074:

Unless you're making a living from fishing you should only have a sounder that does depth and shows bait schools and structure...

Thats the most rediculous thing i have ever heard,

Whats the difference between a sounder and a camera, both are indicating there are fish underneath the boat, both are showing structure. By using a camera i can identify target species which aids in maintaining a healthy fishery by not planting hooks in fish i dont want to catch.

Everyone has their own unique methods of fishing with a goal in mind, mine is not todisturb an environment when i dont need to. The underwater camera does exactly that.

Mate,

any chance on some info on that underwater camera ?

What does it look like, how to mount it, cost, distance it can see, stuff like that.

I would love to see what's in my burley trail but not eating my baits.....

Mate,

any chance on some info on that underwater camera ?

What does it look like, how to mount it, cost, distance it can see, stuff like that.

I would love to see what's in my burley trail but not eating my baits.....

The particular one i am using is a probe like cameta thing which is attatched to how ever much cable you have.

You drop the probe/camera into the water and watch on your reciever (a TV screen) The camera doesnt have record, but it has INFARED and LED lights on it so its good at night time.

Cost varies, this one is my mates who i go fishing with so ill ask him how much he paid, but he told me it was expensive. Distance wise depends on the clarity of the water, it has got zoom and rotate view and auto rotate.

Hope this helps

There are some absolutely ridiculous and inane replies to this topic. What the hell does it matter what toys we have - is it harmful - NO - is it dangerous to the marine life - NO - is it a bit of fun - YES - so what's the problem with you people calling for bans etc - wake up to yourselves and grow up.

Fishing is supposed to be fun - get over it and stop being jealous you lot of baggers.It's good of Predator to share his pics and experiences with us, and that's precisely what this forum is about.

Tuffy.

Edited by Tuffy

There are some absolutely ridiculous and inane replies to this topic. What the hell does it matter what toys we have - is it harmful - NO - is it dangerous to the marine life - NO - is it a bit of fun - YES - so what's the problem with you people calling for bans etc - wake up to yourselves and grow up.

Fishing is supposed to be fun - get over it and stop being jealous you lot of baggers.It's good of Predator to share his pics and experiences with us, and that's precisely what this forum is about.

Tuffy.

I definately agree :)

Tuffy.

Thanks mate : )

As mentioned, Id rather catch species i speficially target, rather than potentially damage and disturb fish that i do not want to target.

Im a sports fisherman, so preservation of habitat and life are my primary concerns.

Thanks again for the support fellas!

haha Stan, just saw your great report.

This was awesome setup for boat. To me, I don't think there is any wrong with underwater cam. I have even seen some fishing boats with under water lights to attract fish&squids with underwater cam setup too :D