Advice on which Waders to buy

spence

Hello all,

I am looking to buy a set of waders. I fish in Sydney, all year round, including winter (usually from my tinnie). I have found my myself doing a lot of land-based fishing lately and would like a set of waders to wade into weed beds etc at places like Narrabeen lake. I don't know anything about them other than what I have read on the net and I thought some other fishraiders honest advice would be better, thanks rod

I've got a pair that has "socks" instead of "boots" - I find this is helpful, as it allows me to chose what footwear I use with the waders, as I often prefer light shoes for wading on sand in cold water.

But be warned: if you are anywhere near oysters, you'll need proper, heavy duty waders. the "socks" version don't really combine well with boots, since the boots just fill with water, and the slightest touch of an oyster to the soft part of the wader will go straight through and let the water in :thumbdown: .

Also, off the beach and the rocks, I stay away from waders altogether since they are impossible to swim in and would lead to serious problems if I get washed in. I have an old wet suit for beach and rock fishing and it keeps me nice and warm, although not dry.

G'day mate, I have Snowbee waders and so far they have served me well..

My first set of waders was Snowbee and they were great.

Eventually (about 2 years) I got some leaks in the feet and around the top of the boots so now have another pair. Not Snowbee this time and not quite as good.

I reckon that the heavy PVC waders look stiff and uncomfortable so go the fabric styles.

Watch where the waders bulge out around your armpits ...not a problem with the Snowbees but my second pair isnn't as neat a fit and the fabric gets in the way when I put my rod under my arm or am casting SPs. This second pair also has a couple of snaplocks on the front which I find annoying.

Just the same, they keep me dry and prevent the pelican itch and they'll do for the next 1 to 2 years of their life.

Koalaboi

+1 for Hornes waders.

I grew up trout fishing in Tassie so have almost spent more time in waders than in pants :biggrin2: Hornes are the best value and most reliable and comfortable 'plastic' waders you'll find. Other brands have always let me down one way or another. If you ever want a pair specifically for cold water/weather, try Fly & Dry neoprene waders.

Cheers, Slinky

dont use your waders land based open ocean or in boat in deep water ,if you go in you will not be able to get them off .they fill up and you sink end of story ,if you must were gear in you boat use what the pros use it may save your life .

dont use your waders land based open ocean or in boat in deep water ,if you go in you will not be able to get them off .they fill up and you sink end of story ,if you must were gear in you boat use what the pros use it may save your life .

You can get these:

WILLIAM JOSEPH FLY FISHING WST Waders. They have a huge CO2 cylinder bladder just like a normal self inflating PFD