New Reel, feels rough.

david88

hey guys, i just recieved my new 2011 twinpower 2500 that i ordered from ******* store.

reel looks beautiful and feels solid however upon turning the handle it feels really rough, almost grindy. it feels about as smooth as my 3 year old stradic.

because i bought from japan i know i have no warranty with shimano australia and i dont want to pay for shipping back to japan and back again for a replacement.

I tried a couple of drops of grease in the service port but that hasnt helped anything. I dont like the idea of opening up a brand new reel to check for greasing.

Have any raiders ever experienced a new reel feeling rough and what did you do about it?

Thanks guys, Dave.

Edited by Fezza
non sponsor info removed

Very sorry to hear. Thats one of the reasons why I don't purchase my reels online. I don't mind paying a bit extra for reassurance that the reel is working fine. I would reccommend you contact the company somehow and let them know. At the end of the day it is not your fault. Good luck

Very sorry to hear. Thats one of the reasons why I don't purchase my reels online. I don't mind paying a bit extra for reassurance that the reel is working fine. I would reccommend you contact the company somehow and let them know. At the end of the day it is not your fault. Good luck

yeah i have purchased reels online that were fine in the past, saving heaps of money. but i guess this is why we pay a bit extra from the tackle stores, to prevent problems like this.

does anybody know if greasing or servicing the reel may solve this problem? how much would shimano charge to look at it?

mate after i dropped my sedona in ithe drink i got them to service it. needed a bearing or two from memory. all up it was 30 bucks.

my ci4 felt a little stiff out of the box. not grindy though.Gave the outside a bit of inox after every fish and it's now really smooth.

Sorry to hear this Dave, as you know I was looking forward to reading your review of the new Twin Power. I'd suggest hunting around for the best price to send the reel back to Japan, it's sure to be more cost effective than having Shimano Aus look at it and charge you for the privilege and I reckon you'll still be in front. Hardest part will be waiting for the reel to arrive all over again.

Adam.

Personally i'd rather pay the extra $$$ and know I have warranty in Australia and still supporting our own businesses here.

Well that's the gamble you take, iv bought about 20 or so reels from o/s.... Knock on wood, all has been good, mind you I always make sure the seller is reputable...

Well that's the gamble you take, iv bought about 20 or so reels from o/s.... Knock on wood, all has been good, mind you I always make sure the seller is reputable...

yeah i have bought a few from here and a few from overseas, never had a problem. the company i bought from is very professional and we will see what their reply is tomorrow. I used to buy my tackle from a certain large tackle store in the inner west but i just got sick of getting home to find it 30-60% cheaper online. im about to sell some rods which are as new for half of what i paid for them (with discounts) just to compete with online prices.

Pull the spool off ,take the bearring of the sharft ,a very small grub screew holds it on ,take the cover plate off two small screews ,remove the nut that the plate covers,then lift the uper part of the reel off ,you will see a black rubber seal in there ,this is your problem ,its a water seal ,you can just remove it for now ,get a new one from shimano ,i dont run them on mine ,

• 1 month later...

yeah i have bought a few from here and a few from overseas, never had a problem. the company i bought from is very professional and we will see what their reply is tomorrow. I used to buy my tackle from a certain large tackle store in the inner west but i just got sick of getting home to find it 30-60% cheaper online. im about to sell some rods which are as new for half of what i paid for them (with discounts) just to compete with online prices.

Mate, Shimano at Taren Point charge you only $20 to service your reel plus parts. As someone else said it is only likely to cost you roughly $30!