blackfish rod

matt84

hi guy, have had enough of using my 9' live fibre for darkies, just too short at spots, so am planning on building up a new darkie stick 11-12' ish. just after some suggestions of blanks, want it to be as light as possible so after graphite/composite.

so far have my eye on pacific comp 3145G, any others worth a look?

hi guy, have had enough of using my 9' live fibre for darkies, just too short at spots, so am planning on building up a new darkie stick 11-12' ish. just after some suggestions of blanks, want it to be as light as possible so after graphite/composite.

so far have my eye on pacific comp 3145G, any others worth a look?

MT4144 use to be made by Butterworth not sure who makes them now but it's great for Luderick and Bream

Edited by jot

You after a purely blackfish rod or a multipurpose two choices look at the St Croix steelhead float rod blanks or go for a Kilwell 1365 in 13ft MT4144 are good but a little too stiff for my liking hence I went for the 1365. Snyder CR3146 is a goodie too.

yes purely blackfish, both estuary/rock walls and ocean rocks. built a 9' st croix salmon/steelhead spin rod recently, if that's anything to go by the butt seems too thin and dosn't seem to have the power to lift fish out without fearing the rods gonna snap.

Hey mate, I custom build a blackfish rod using the same blank your looking at for the exact same reason (lightweight). I used heatshrink grips and Fuji titanium sic single foot guides. It is easy to use for a whole day as it is so light and is fantastic handling large blackies, matched up with an alvey blackfish reel. My concern is your wanting a rod to dead lift fish out of the water, I have done so with smaller fish but if you hook one 40cm+ or a drummer off the rocks I don't know how you would go, I haven't been game to try, and with it being part graphite I wouldn't want to try high sticking it. I just use the swell to wash them up.

Besides that it is by far my favourite blackfish rod.

Good luck with it all, pm me if you're after any other details.

that what im planning on doing, heat shrink grips, was gonna go double foot for the fist 3 guides then drop to single foot for the rest. most spots are net jobs or wash out but have a few spots that require a bit of a lift to get them out, not worried about that though the rod has plenty off grunt in the bottom section. everyone had good things to say about the 3145g so looks like i will be ordering it this week :) will post a few pics when im done.

Matt,

Fair enough on the St Croix but remeber they handle the hard runs of steelheads to 20 plus pound nad have a lot of grunt plus you really should not be dead lifting big blackies ask Scrubby that one!!!! If its graphite glass before you go the 3145 look at the mag bream as well but below is my recommendation and to let you know I have field tested all these rods!

If you want a tought stick for purely blackies the 1365 is the nuts in 13feet purely glass its a traditional action that can handle bream and is 5 wraps but nice and soft not too heavy. Ask Marley he has dads old one and it is soft enough for estuary. Also comes as 12 footer! Nearest thing to a Sportex I have seen. As for grips to keep it light g otrad and go cork or the traditional binding cord and bind on plate reel seat give it a real 70's look!

that what im planning on doing, heat shrink grips, was gonna go double foot for the fist 3 guides then drop to single foot for the rest. most spots are net jobs or wash out but have a few spots that require a bit of a lift to get them out, not worried about that though the rod has plenty off grunt in the bottom section. everyone had good things to say about the 3145g so looks like i will be ordering it this week :) will post a few pics when im done.

You should be very happy with the rod mate, at a mere 230g and 23mm butt diameter it is one of the thinnest and lightest blackfish blanks you will find without compensating power, I searched for blackfish blanks for over 3 months and was the best I could find, and have not been disapointed by it.

There's nothing like using a rod you build yourself!

Daniel

PS replied to your PM.

Gday Matt,

I have two rods which I use for blackfishing. My estuary rod of choice is an old Black Queen. It is solid glass and quite sloppy but great for taming the dark river blackies. Its a bit heavy after a while though.

My second rod is custom rod made on a Wilson Live Fibre blank 10'6" 1-3Kg one piece I purchased when shop for non experts hahahaclosed down. Love this rod. This one has more grunt and I use mostly from the rocks just in case I tangle with the occasional drummer.

Alvey centrepins on both.

Enjoy your blackfishing - its sparking right up here in Botany Bay at the moment.

Cheers

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Big fan of the 3145g, I built mine myself a good while ago and it is still my go to rod,

Picture of the butt here, from a post long time ago. Great rod for estuary or rocks, will handle anything up to smaller medium pigs, 2-4kg, tough rod, even with the graphite composite, very light and responsive and a pleasure to use.

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=7767&st=0&p=69708&hl=macman&fromsearch=1entry69708

Matt

Check out the Snyder HHGT if it is still available. A wonderful light 12 footer that works a treat on the darkies from the rocks. It will handle smaller pigs too. Mine was custom built for a small threadline (reel mount a little too high for an Alvey or centerpin) and and doubles as a fantastic light beach rod - great for whiting just in behind the breakers. We call it the "fighting biting whiting" rod!

Kel