The Best Way To Rig Up Live Nippers ?

Mr.KingSpooled

Hey Raiders,

My little brother loves his estuary fishing, he is used to using prawns and live worms. But the other day our local tackle store brought in live nippers of a good size so he ended up buying about 30 of them. There sitting at home in a tank full of fresh water and fairly lively. What I wanted to know is whats the best rig to use for nippers as I havent used them much as a bait myself.

If anyone has any knowledge on the subject would be much appreciated.

Cheers Raiders,

jez

hi...

not exactly sure how other people rig nippers...

but usually i just use a standard rig...

small hooks to fit the size of the nippers - leader - swivel - smallest possible sinker - swivel

as for putting the nipper on the hook...

break off any large claws, then feed the hook through the base of the tail and then bring it out close to the head between the legs...

hope this helps...

all the best

Hey Raiders,

My little brother loves his estuary fishing, he is used to using prawns and live worms. But the other day our local tackle store brought in live nippers of a good size so he ended up buying about 30 of them. There sitting at home in a tank full of fresh water and fairly lively. What I wanted to know is whats the best rig to use for nippers as I havent used them much as a bait myself.

If anyone has any knowledge on the subject would be much appreciated.

Cheers Raiders,

jez

Hi Jez,

Depends on what you are targeting and the size of the nippers. I find that if you use finer gauge hooks they live longer. For whiting I use a long shank hook like the Mustad 4540 1/2, or you could use a fine gauge sneck or french hook. I haven't tried circle hooks with yabbies but I imagine bending them around a circle hook would not treat them too kindly. Still, you should be able to come in sideways just under the shell and out again a bit further down. Even with the fine gauge long hsank hooks, I try to minimise the amount of hook sitting in the body and just pierce the shell, if I can. If the fish are about and you have live nippers, it's not offten they need to be on the hook for long anyway, as they are often snapped straight up. That's my opinion anyway.

Good lick.

Baz

They are actually fairly large nippers, almost be a nice snack for a jew. But i think it would be better with the finer guage keep them kicking nice and lively !!

Cheers guys you pointed me in the right way,

Now i just need to catch them fish lol !!!

Cheers Fellas,

jez