The Hacking 06/05/2011

dwan8337

Gmorning fellow raiders,

Went down to the hacking with two of my fishing buddies 06/05/2011. According to the Almanac charts that day was a hot fishing day (You know what, it was pretty damn well accurate). Launching our boat from Gymea, the cruise to the nipper grounds saw what I presumed to be pillies being hammered by a school of bonnies. Our skipper quickly killed the engine quite far off as we slowly drifted towards the spot where the bust-up occured. To our dismay, the bonitos have gone deep (Guess we didn't kill the engine far enough).

Continuing onto the sand flats near bundeena, my two buddies proceeded with their nippers pumping whilst i cheekily stayed inside the boat pre-rigging, and hoping to get the first cast out when we reached our destination. Putting the finishes touches to my double uni, hell broke lose right behind the tinny on the sand flats. No idea what it was busting up within 40cm of water, I quickly tied on an excessively big popper onto a 6"6 bream rod spooled with 8lb braid + 6lb leader (The only popper that I had & knowing perfectly well if it got smashed i'd lose the lure).

Pop..Pop..pop...wam!! thought i was on for a second but somehow the fish somehow missed the trebles. The blood was pumping by this stage...

The school of fish only had moved slightly further away so

Again..pop..pop..pop...only this time i ripped the popper back as fast as i could. Within seconds I was on!! ZZzzzZZZzzzZZZZzZZZzz.....In all honesty, this was the best fight I've seen a salmon give. In total, I counted 6 spectacular leaps, completely clearing its body from the water. After every leap it would go off again and i'd hold on for dear life.

10minutes later...I wish i brought the camera along, a 67cm sambo onto the sand! I never knew salmon would hunt so shallow towards a sandbank. It was definitely an eye opener :1yikes: . Oh yes, popper still in tact :thumbup:

You'd think this was the end of it??

We cruised back to the mouth of Gymea Bathes, anchored and started the berley trail going. It was meant to be a day of bread & butter fishing because my mates thinks I haven't done enough of it. They told me live nippers were gun bait on trevally, bream and whatever can get their mouths around them. What they didn't tell me was how to hold one.... :ranting2: but hey thats what mates are for eh??

On my first drop a legal Trevally..

Second drop a legal Trevally...

Third drop a legal bream...

You get my drift...this quite didn't stop until about 9:30am. I lost count on the fish we landed but We only kept two of each species. Sensing the bite was turning off, I suggested to the skipper we try our favourite spot further downstream as we managed to berley up some sizable Trevally on our previous outings.

Like the usual we anchored up and started the berley trail again. Only this time I was adding Pilchard fillets into the drift and floated mine down along with it :yahoo: a little while later...tap tap...zZzzZzzZZzzz...i quickly pick up the rod, thumb the spool and set the hook. By this time my mates were calling Kingy, I couldn't tell what it was. It was doing head shakes, tuna circles, and slugging it out deep. It didn't feel like a huge fish but it was fighting like one, taking considerable line off my little Stella 4000S. Was a while before I could turn the fish's head toward me and started gaining some line back.

My mate was first to see colour (well..stripes). It was a Bonito alright! measuring 55cm and foul hooked on top of its head! that explained why it had so much power :ranting2:

Sorry guys I'm getting really hungry writing this so I'll end it quickly. All in all, it was a hell of a day on the Hacking. Someone once told me that the Hacking is Sydney's best kept secret. I'm with him on that. In total we landed another 6 Bonitos, 2 Rat Kingfish, and countless bustoffs! All before Noon.

Tight Lines

Edited by dwan8337

Gmorning fellow raiders,

Went down to the hacking with two of my fishing buddies 06/05/2011. According to the Almanac charts that day was a hot fishing day (You know what, it was pretty damn well accurate). Launching our boat from Gymea, the cruise to the nipper grounds saw what I presumed to be pillies being hammered by a school of bonnies. Our skipper quickly killed the engine quite far off as we slowly drifted towards the spot where the bust-up occured. To our dismay, the bonitos have gone deep (Guess we didn't kill the engine far enough).

Continuing onto the sand flats near bundeena, my two buddies proceeded with their nippers pumping whilst i cheekily stayed inside the boat pre-rigging, and hoping to get the first cast out when we reached our destination. Putting the finishes touches to my double uni, hell broke lose right behind the tinny on the sand flats. No idea what it was busting up within 40cm of water, I quickly tied on an excessively big popper onto a 6"6 bream rod spooled with 8lb braid + 6lb leader (The only popper that I had & knowing perfectly well if it got smashed i'd lose the lure).

Pop..Pop..pop...wam!! thought i was on for a second but somehow the fish somehow missed the trebles. The blood was pumping by this stage...

The school of fish only had moved slightly further away so

Again..pop..pop..pop...only this time i ripped the popper back as fast as i could. Within seconds I was on!! ZZzzzZZZzzzZZZZzZZZzz.....In all honesty, this was the best fight I've seen a salmon give. In total, I counted 6 spectacular leaps, completely clearing its body from the water. After every leap it would go off again and i'd hold on for dear life.

10minutes later...I wish i brought the camera along, a 67cm sambo onto the sand! I never knew salmon would hunt so shallow towards a sandbank. It was definitely an eye opener :1yikes: . Oh yes, popper still in tact :thumbup:

You'd think this was the end of it??

We cruised back to the mouth of Gymea Bathes, anchored and started the berley trail going. It was meant to be a day of bread & butter fishing because my mates thinks I haven't done enough of it. They told me live nippers were gun bait on trevally, bream and whatever can get their mouths around them. What they didn't tell me was how to hold one.... :ranting2: but hey thats what mates are for eh??

On my first drop a legal Trevally..

Second drop a legal Trevally...

Third drop a legal bream...

You get my drift...this quite didn't stop until about 9:30am. I lost count on the fish we landed but We only kept two of each species. Sensing the bite was turning off, I suggested to the skipper we try our favourite spot further downstream as we managed to berley up some sizable Trevally on our previous outings.

Like the usual we anchored up and started the berley trail again. Only this time I was adding Pilchard fillets into the drift and floated mine down along with it :yahoo: a little while later...tap tap...zZzzZzzZZzzz...i quickly pick up the rod, thumb the spool and set the hook. By this time my mates were calling Kingy, I couldn't tell what it was. It was doing head shakes, tuna circles, and slugging it out deep. It didn't feel like a huge fish but it was fighting like one, taking considerable line off my little Stella 4000S. Was a while before I could turn the fish's head toward me and started gaining some line back.

My mate was first to see colour (well..stripes). It was a Bonito alright! measuring 55cm and foul hooked on top of its head! that explained why it had so much power :ranting2:

Sorry guys I'm getting really hungry writing this so I'll end it quickly. All in all, it was a hell of a day on the Hacking. Someone once told me that the Hacking is Sydney's best kept secret. I'm with him on that. In total we landed another 6 Bonitos, 2 Rat Kingfish, and countless bustoffs! All before Noon.

Tight Lines

Definately Sydneys best kept secret.

Good work on catching so many fish,i,m not all that keen on touching yabbies either so i mainly fish with fillet baits.

Great day out, I was out on the 7th with not much action around Wallys wharf

Is there a boat ramp at gymea? Is it possible to launch a kayak there?

Thanks.

Hi Raii,

My bad I meant Grays point is where we launched. A bit further up stream from Gymea. Just used to saying gymea because I've fished at the bathes so many times. You can launch your yak quite easily at swallow rock reserve (Grays point) without getting any scratches. Theres a nice little sandy beach next to the boat ramp.

Its worth the effort paddling up to the Bathes. Just watch this video

I don't think they guy who posted the clip wanted you to know where it was but its the bathes.

Hahaha, I assumed there wasnt any ramp at Gymea.

Btw, I'm the owner of the video :P

Hey Raii,

I think i met one of your female friends dad at the bathe one arvo! He says he his daughter knows you =p man that video was kingy madness middle of May too. Theres another spot further up nxt to lilli pilli holds some good numbers too.

Dave