Lake Lyell Trout

shred

G'day fellas has anyone fished Lyell recently? keen as to go up and have a crack for some trout. This is probably the closest to me for them as I live in penrith, I've Never done it before so if anyone could point me in the right direction to some answers as to what lures/gear to take, time of day that's the best or just anything that could help me That would make me very happy. Also I just got the new freshwater mag which said there was a decent population of bass in there also, I know it's not the best time of year but if trout are a no go i could always switch it up and have a crack at those. Any help or comments appreciated. Cheers :)

Likewise, I am looking at hitting the Lyell in the coming weeks.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Also, I heard that there was a big release of fish into the Lyell recently. Can anyone confirm this? I think it may have been a month or two ago though.

Cheers.

Not sure if the release was Trout of Bass? There is a great article in the current Freshwater Fishing about the Bass in Lyell. I have encountered them erratically over the years but only small, but the ones in this article were top looking fish.

Lyell is shaping up to be a real mixed fishery. Should be fishing very well for Trout at the moment though with plenty of water flowing in the Cox' there might be some good fish congregating up that arm getting ready for spawning. All though the sudden cold would have stopped any major insect life?

Hope that helps a bit :biggrin2:

Windy

Cheers for that lads I'll have to check the cox's arm out, powerbait you say killer? I'm not too knowledgable on the stuff but is there more than one sort? If so which one my friend? Also what sort of rigs are you guys using? Line weights hooks etc, cheers for the help fellas can't wait to get up there and have a go, just trying to make sure I can make it a relatively successful trip :)

Tassie devils with yellow wings are the go to lure for spinning and trolling for trout out there.

I find that plain orange or rainbow power bait both work. Small pea size sinker above a swivel, 30cm 6lb leader and a 'trout egg' (or small) hook moulded into it.

As for times, any time of morning/day/evening you are in with a shot. I find they come on the bite for an hour or so and then shut down.

There are some good size bass there as well but there is a lot of sunken timber out there now since the water level has come up and can be tricky to tempt and find.

A lot more water between the fish now! And starting to get REAL cold!

Thanks for that mate, looks like a trip to the tackle shop is in order for some new hooks, some powerbait and a few tassie devils! What's the best retrieve method for those? Also where are the trout most likely to be? Around structure, near banks or what? I just don't wanna aimlessly cast out if i can cut it down to places that have a better chance if holding fish. Yeah it's going to be ****** freezing up there! Which is why I was keen to chase trout as they are a colder temperature species if I'm not mistaken? I usually go after bass but as the season is coming to an end I'd like to expand to trout for something new to have a crack at. Thanks for all the great replies everyone, any information that can help is highly appreciated! I really hope I can hook into at least one! :)

Shane

Thanks for that mate, looks like a trip to the tackle shop is in order for some new hooks, some powerbait and a few tassie devils! What's the best retrieve method for those? Also where are the trout most likely to be? Around structure, near banks or what? I just don't wanna aimlessly cast out if i can cut it down to places that have a better chance if holding fish. Yeah it's going to be ****** freezing up there! Which is why I was keen to chase trout as they are a colder temperature species if I'm not mistaken? I usually go after bass but as the season is coming to an end I'd like to expand to trout for something new to have a crack at. Thanks for all the great replies everyone, any information that can help is highly appreciated! I really hope I can hook into at least one! :)

Shane

The fish can be from the surface to the bottom! :1prop:

It depends on thermoclines in the water column as to where fish will be lurking, Generally up higher in the morning and lower throughout the day. Tassies are good because you can fish them at any depth, just vary the sink time. I guess this time of year they will be down a bit deeper as the water probably hasn't cooled off a lot yet. A slow constant retrieve to get them 'pulsing' the rod tip will work fine. Power bait should be fished on or near the bottom. just be prepared to move around a bit to find them with lures. Probably would fish the upper end of the lake as previously suggested.

But they could be anywhere!

Good luck.

Thanks for everything mate I think with all this info I stand a pretty good chance! Also with the powerbait is it the ones that come in the containers that look like little nuggety type things? As I do have a vague memory of seeing these last time I was at the shop. :)

Thanks for everything mate I think with all this info I stand a pretty good chance! Also with the powerbait is it the ones that come in the containers that look like little nuggety type things? As I do have a vague memory of seeing these last time I was at the shop. :)

Yea thats the ones. Think they call them 'trout nuggets'

Good luck.

the rainbow work good , captain america and the pink are also worth a try .If ya from Penrith there is a great tackle shop at st marys in one of the arcades of the main street , his good to see for what ya want

Cheers killer I'll have to suss it out for sure. Probably just gonna buy all of these different things and have a go with them all throughout the day and see what works best. Cheers boys. Also, What do trout fight like compared to bass?

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up going about 45 mins past oberon and bush bashed to a small river past black springs. Managed 6 rainbows between us all over 40cm. Stoked! Caught on small celtas and squidgees. Also managed to lose about 5 lures in the trees. Well worth it though! Can't wait to go again. :)