Brand Advice - Rod Upgrade

RNB

Hi Raiders,

Looking for a versatile rod that I can use for rock and beach fishing, I currently using a 12foot pacific composite custom. Wanting to achieve longer casts, happy to spend a few $$$.$$ dollars. Would really appreciate if you could point me in the right direction - best brands + best place to buy + should I be going longer in the rod department to achieve greater casts.

Cheers RNB

Hi Raiders,

Looking for a versatile rod that I can use for rock and beach fishing, I currently using a 12foot pacific composite custom. Wanting to achieve longer casts, happy to spend a few $$$.$$ dollars. Would really appreciate if you could point me in the right direction - best brands + best place to buy + should I be going longer in the rod department to achieve greater casts.

Cheers RNB

How much money did you want to spend exactly. For me an 11ft rod is sufficient for all my rock fishing. I currently use a Daiwa Seajigger 325 with a 4000 sol. I honestly don't believe in such things as 'best brands' for rods. Alot of the major rod manufacturers will have high end fishing rods priced well over $1000. I spent alot of time researching my rod before I bought it as well. You might want to think about if you are going to be using alot of lures, or mainly just bait. If your going to be using alot of lures and casting all day then a heavy 12ft rod would probably not be suitable. In this case then you would have to look into the graphite rod ranges which will be alot lighter for you. You also need to consider what species of fish you are chasing. If you are chasing the larger species such as Kingfish, Tuna or something of that sort then you will need a much heavier rod to be able to handle them. But if you are chasing speciies such as tailor, salmon, bonito etc then I'd recommend anything ranging from 15-30lb in rod ratings. For rock fishing or beach fishing I would not recommend anything under a 10ft. If you want to achieve longer casts then perhaps you might want to start using braided line instead of monofilament if you haven't already. If you want something that will give you long casts then go for braid that has a thin diameter. I use 30lb Braid of the rocks at the moment and I land most of the fish I hook up. In saying this, you don't necessarily have to be using a longer rod to achieve longer casts. Hope this helps.

Cheers Steze,

great advice, will start to check out graphite rods(I like the idea of a lighter rod for comfort), hoping to find something thats great for throwing 80 - 160 gram lures as well as having enough beef in the butt section to hold up to big jews. Think I'll be able to afford $300.00-$400.00. If there are any suggestions for reputable rods in this price range.

Thanks again

RNB

Hi Raiders,

Cheers RNB

money dose not buy distance in casting ,good distance comes with pratics,seen 200mts cast with a 6 foot butt section 1 runner taped on .