illawarra lake

Anyone been to illawarra lake recently? How's the fishing there?

I'm thinking of taking the family there on satday, as high tide is around noon.

Also is the water calm? How's the windang boat ramp, is there a dock area at the ramp?

There is a pontoon right beisde the little ramp at Windang. Dont even attempt to cross the bar and head outside if your inexperienced. Head up through the channel and fish the drop offs for flathead or anchor up and burley. I fished it over the easter long weekend and got a stackload of huge sea mullet doing their annual run but they were very timid. Not sure if they will still be in the main channel or probably outside being netted in the thousands by the pro's.

A word of warning, when heading through the main channel stick to the red markers on ur left as the sand bar intrudes in past the line of green markers quite considerably and its not hard to bottom out!!! Just be very carefull and look out for the markers they are spaced out quite far and its easy to be stuck over shallow weed beds! If you see flocks of swans steer clear of that direction!!

As you can tell I learnt the hard way ha ha ha :074:

Other than that its a nice little spot for a relaxing day with family, especially having a fish and chips shop walking distance from the ramp and bait/tackle supplies nearby.

Goodluck!

PS: DONT FORGET THE BUNG BRO!

Musty

Edited by musty

There is a pontoon right beisde the little ramp at Windang. Dont even attempt to cross the bar and head outside if your inexperienced. Head up through the channel and fish the drop offs for flathead or anchor up and burley. I fished it over the easter long weekend and got a stackload of huge sea mullet doing their annual run but they were very timid. Not sure if they will still be in the main channel or probably outside being netted in the thousands by the pro's.

A word of warning, when heading through the main channel stick to the red markers on ur left as the sand bar intrudes in past the line of green markers quite considerably and its not hard to bottom out!!! Just be very carefull and look out for the markers they are spaced out quite far and its easy to be stuck over shallow weed beds! If you see flocks of swans steer clear of that direction!!

As you can tell I learnt the hard way ha ha ha :074:

Other than that its a nice little spot for a relaxing day with family, especially having a fish and chips shop walking distance from the ramp and bait/tackle supplies nearby.

Goodluck!

PS: DONT FORGET THE BUNG BRO!

Musty

LOL I will never ever forget the bung again =)

Thanks heaps of the info, priceless =)

Will let ya know how I go satday!

Fish there alot myself buddy i'd recommend anchoring up in channel & fishing light weight on the turn of the tide, the run out is best, up near the sand bars at the end of the channel is where i catch alot of Flattys, Bream, Whiting and even Trevally when it's overcast, you'll find the fish waiting in the channel for the baitfish to run of the sandbar, if the tides running though don't bother , you really want to fish 2 hours either side of the tide change, just go out into the lake and have a look around, you can drift most areas for Flatty and Bream the lake is full of them. Peeled prawns are the gun bait, i hope this helps

Best of luck & i hope to see a positive report you deserve an esky full of fish :)

Edited by cut_loose

Fish there alot myself buddy i'd recommend anchoring up in channel & fishing light weight on the turn of the tide, the run out is best, up near the sand bars at the end of the channel is where i catch alot of Flattys, Bream, Whiting and even Trevally when it's overcast, you'll find the fish waiting in the channel for the baitfish to run of the sandbar, if the tides running though don't bother , you really want to fish 2 hours either side of the tide change, just go out into the lake and have a look around, you can drift most areas for Flatty and Bream the lake is full of them. Peeled prawns are the gun bait, i hope this helps

Best of luck & i hope to see a positive report you deserve an esky full of fish :)

Awesome cheers mate, will definitely try peeled prawns =)

Nice boat you have btw!