sinker moulds

rob ford

Hi fish-raiders, read about sinker moulds and I am looking for either a crown, pyramid or something that does not move with a run out/in tide in a river. Saw a crown years ago that had a bicycle spoke moulded in it and the elderly owner said "that stops the bugger moving in the current", well raiders what have you discovered as I am sick of losing gear and catching rocks. Any info would be much appreciated. Rob.

Hi Rob,

Fish lighter off the rocks, you want the bait almost weightless and moving around, or depending on the conditions (wind, current, wash), use the smallest ball sinker possible sitting directly on top of the hook, just enough weight to get your bait down but not anchored to the bottom. If you do get snagged don't immediately break it off, give a fish time to find your bait. Give the line some slack and wait for a bite, the fish will dislodge the snagged rig most of the time. Same goes for the beach or in a river, a moving bait will get more bites.

cheers

Greg

Edited by bagga

I think I know the kind of sinker that you are talking about. I've attached a picture of one.

They are widely used in the UK for beach fishing. The spikes anchor the bait/rig in sandy and flat bottom areas with strong currents but the same spikes also can cause you to get snagged up and you end up loosing your gear. You can also occasionally end up having to work hard just to bring your rig in to check your bait cause the sinker is completely fouled up with kelp or weed gathered up by the spikes.

post-15235-063319700 1305762725_thumb.jpg

If you are looking for a mould then there should be 4 small holes in the bottom of the mould through which you thread the spokes. You have to bend the spikes to get the mould off then.

Good luck in finding a mould!! I've never seen one in any tackle shop here.

Needless to say you should be very careful when casting these beasties!!

Edited by Marfoir

Hi Rob,

Fish lighter off the rocks, you want the bait almost weightless and moving around, or depending on the conditions (wind, current, wash), use the smallest ball sinker possible sitting directly on top of the hook, just enough weight to get your bait down but not anchored to the bottom. If you do get snagged don't immediately break it off, give a fish time to find your bait. Give the line some slack and wait for a bite, the fish will dislodge the snagged rig most of the time. Same goes for the beach or in a river, a moving bait will get more bites.

cheers

Greg

As a kid I used to poor lead into one of mums old tablespoons and drill a hole in the thinner end to attach some cord and a brass ring. They were not the most aerodynamic but they hung onto the bottom pretty well due to their low profile. I had fun knocking them out, but the spoons (my moulds) tended to discolour and stood out in the cutlery draw a bit.

Cheers

Blood Knot