Soft Plastics Snapper Combo

Mr.KingSpooled

Hey Raiders,

Im after a combo for chasing snapper on plastics and various other reef species. I see that snapper on plastics and the lighter combos are becoming alot more common and alot of anglers are using these. I personally have never chased snapper on plastics and plan on going out this saturday, Ive got my normal 2 setups. 24kg Overhead setup and, 15kg Heavy spin outfit. I was hoping to go down to my tackle shop tomorrow and picking up a snapper combo for the weekend and also various plastics and jig heads.

Im hoping if any raider would recommend a setup I could use, im planning on spending $200-$250 max as Ive never done this fishing before and I wanna get a decent combo not an over the top $1000 setup but something that will suffice. Also what sort of plastic's should I be looking at purchasing and what sort of jig heads and leaders should I be using. The place's where ill be using this will be around the Sydney heads area, long reef and a few other spots within these regions.

Any help will be great,

Cheers Raiders,

jez

you're echoeing my vision mate,

I just got a Shimano Mexican Raider II Snapper spin 762 model 5-8kg to pair up with my Sedona 4000

And then stocked up on some Gulp 5" jerk shads, in natural colours like sardine and blue pepper and sluggos in 6" nd 9" in white and panthom blues

Then got some jig heads ranging in hook size from 3/0 to 5/0............7-14grams in weight

I havent used any of this - got i all this week, but i am confident of the equipment......i just need the fish to meet me somewhere

I'm mainly targeting kings in the harbour, but i know this will work with snapper, also.

I've been using soft plastics for years...........but mainly for flathead on 2-4kg whip, and 2500 reel........they are deadly

Here's hoping my heavier/medium outfit can bring in some pelagics of the harbour

Also thinking of getting some larger jerk shads of the 7" variety to add to the collection

All you need is a 4000 size reel, and a good spinning whip thats strong for snapper.............the rod much more important, it provides the action to the bait making it look tasty, and the lighter the better for long casting anything unweights

you're echoeing my vision mate,

I just got a Shimano Mexican Raider II Snapper spin 762 model 5-8kg to pair up with my Sedona 4000

And then stocked up on some Gulp 5" jerk shads, in natural colours like sardine and blue pepper and sluggos in 6" nd 9" in white and panthom blues

Then got some jig heads ranging in hook size from 3/0 to 5/0............7-14grams in weight

I havent used any of this - got i all this week, but i am confident of the equipment......i just need the fish to meet me somewhere

I'm mainly targeting kings in the harbour, but i know this will work with snapper, also.

I've been using soft plastics for years...........but mainly for flathead on 2-4kg whip, and 2500 reel........they are deadly

Here's hoping my heavier/medium outfit can bring in some pelagics of the harbour

Also thinking of getting some larger jerk shads of the 7" variety to add to the collection

All you need is a 4000 size reel, and a good spinning whip thats strong for snapper.............the rod much more important, it provides the action to the bait making it look tasty, and the lighter the better for long casting anything unweights

I might even be able to use my breaming gear just have to upgrade the reel. I have a Team Daiwa Advantage 3-6kg 1 piece graphite rod, which apparently if i upgrade the reel will be suitable for snapper. Whats you thoughts on reels to match this for snapper?

4000 size reel... have a look at an ABU Cardinal, Shimano Sedona, Pflueger Asaro, Daiwa Regal.

Get a rod in the 6-8kg bracket that is 7' long at least (my snapper plastic rods are 7'6 - 8' so that I can get longer casts when drifting). Berkely Drop Shot rods are great value as are Pflueger Trions, Shimano Raiders.

If you can stretch your budget just a little to maybe $300 you'll find you could get a worthwhile upgrade to the reel to maybe an Abu Soron SX or Shimano Symetre.

Cheers, Slinky

4000 size reel... have a look at an ABU Cardinal, Shimano Sedona, Pflueger Asaro, Daiwa Regal.

Get a rod in the 6-8kg bracket that is 7' long at least (my snapper plastic rods are 7'6 - 8' so that I can get longer casts when drifting). Berkely Drop Shot rods are great value as are Pflueger Trions, Shimano Raiders.

If you can stretch your budget just a little to maybe $300 you'll find you could get a worthwhile upgrade to the reel to maybe an Abu Soron SX or Shimano Symetre.

Cheers, Slinky

So would that be $300 just for the reel or the whole combo ? Like i mentioned above I do have a rod atm but its my breaming gear and I heard it may be suitable for snapper BUT if its a little to light then ill upgrade to a 6-8kg stick !!

Yep... those options are based on combo prices. I think you're being very sensible and your budget will get a very good 'start-up' snapper outfit that will do exactly what it needs too. The upgrade in reel would give you a noticeably better drag performance and durability but isn't strictly necessary.

A bream outfit is really too light for snapper plastic fishing but I have 2 types of outfit I use. One is a 4000 size reel , loaded with 20lb braid (and I sometimes swap to a spare spool of 30lb) on an 8kg rod. The other is a 2500 size reel loaded with 12lb braid on a 5kg rod. At the moment, my combos are an Abu Soron STX40 on an 8' Daiwa Sol 8-17lb rod and an Abu Soron STX20 on a 7'6" 2-5kg Lox.

Cheers, Slinky