Not having much success!

Howdoweplaythis

I've been fishing on and off for about 6 months now and i haven't had much luck at all. I've only caught 2 legal whiting at Narrabeen lake in the summer and nothing else worth mentioning besides that (was bloody stoked when i caught them though!)

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on a good species to target for a beginner and how I'd go about catching them. What bait I'd use, rigs, tides, times etc. Also any good spots to fish? I live up in the north of Sydney, near Chatswood. My usual spots are Narrabeen lake, Bobbin head and Balmoral beach.

I'm not quite sure what my rod + reel are, but they're made by Shakespeare, and heavier than a bream combo. I normally use 10 pound mono main line and 6 pound fluoro leader.

Any help is appreciated to help me catch a bit more consistently :thumbup:

Thanks!

I'd start with bream, easier of fish to catch, maybe try Hawkesbury area for a change.

The line seems fine that you have, light running sinker and 1-1/0 hook if you're using bait.

Are you using plastics or hard bodies or bait?

I fish all those areas that you have mentioned. For Balmoral just get some live beach worms from a tackle store and fish either dawn or dusk. For Bobbin Head i would try unweighted prawns for the bream and maybe even chuck some pilchard out as i have seen big flathead, tailor and salmon caught here. For the lake, get some live worms and fish the sandbar near the ocean street bridge. The whiting might be a little slow as its near winter but you will get bream, tailor, flathead and the occassional whiting or salmon.

Good luck

Just cast out prawns or pilchard and leave it as is mate. If your still having no luck then get some size 6 longshanks and some bread about a meter under a float and you will get some of the worlds biggest mullet (at bobbin head). Some guy caught one that he measured to be 72cm! not bad!

Wow! Biggest mullet I've seen is about 30cm.

Might head down to Narrabeen Lake at the end of this week. Try my luck there in front of the caravan park. :biggrin2:

One last question, what's the best way to rig a worm onto a hook? And do i need to burley?

Edited by Howdoweplaythis