Single Hooks

Gday,

I have recently purchased some new poppers for some inshore kings and salmon etc. I understand that single hooks are better for releasing fish but do they decrease in hook up rate?

Is it worth upgrading to single hooks?

Cheers

That's great that you are wanting to minimise the damage to the fish for release. You could either switch to single hooks which are still very effective or you could leave the trebles on and squash the barbs flat. As long as you keep pressure on during the fight it should not decrease your catch and makes release so much easier.

Thanks Fella's for the input. I guess Ill only know once if hooked/lost a few.

Any favourite Kingfish poppers you could recommend? I have been using some cotton cordell poppers and they are working a treat at the moment.

Thanks

You may want to have a look at W hooks, they are a decent compromise between a treble and single and you also do away with split rings.

I have used them on smaller poppers and hardbodies, I am not sure how they go in heavier gauges though.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Fella's for the input. I guess Ill only know once if hooked/lost a few.

Any favourite Kingfish poppers you could recommend? I have been using some cotton cordell poppers and they are working a treat at the moment.

Thanks

X-Rap Walk and Jet Poppers are the best kingie surface lures ive used