Wollongong Kayak Session

mako1

I planned to hit a few spots off Austinmer yesterday but with the swell on the larger side I decided to go with the safer launch from Wollongong harbour.

I started off at the bommie trolling two lures.

One of the lures was taken by a nice snook.

I trolled for a bit longer but I only caught a couple of bakers and pike so I rigged some plastics and worked the bommie edges.

I picked up one bonito and some pike but other than that it was pretty quiet.

I decided to move out to the front to see if I could find some better fishing.

Along the way I trolled some Halco deep divers and as I passed some rough ground close to the point the reel with the deepest lure starts screaming.

After a good fight up pops my first good snapper caught on a hardbodied lure :yahoo:

I was surprised how hard it hit and the line it took on the first run considering it was my heavy outfit.

After that fish I worked the washes with plastics and I picked up one more legal snapper.

The wind was making fishing in close difficult so I trolled back to the bommie and worked some plastics again but I didn’t get any more hits.

I changed to a squid jig but I only managed one squid for the last half hour of fishing.

Nice mixed bag.

post-2229-021084700 1306751540_thumb.jpg

post-2229-085255700 1306751381_thumb.jpg

Here is a video of the fight. I started filming about 1min after the hit as I didn’t have the camera on so I missed the first run.

Awesome Mako! I haven't put the time into perfecting my surf re-entries yet but when I have I'd love to tee up for a fish around Austi. Meanwhile where's the best place to launch when hitting Wollongong Harbour?

Cheers,

Adam.

Edited by Stippy

Thanks for the replies.

It was a great day out.

I've already purchased another couple of deep divers as I'm keen to try and get a few more snapper on hard bodied lures.

Awesome Mako! I haven't put the time into perfecting my surf re-entries yet but when I have I'd love to tee up for a fish around Austi. Meanwhile where's the best place to launch when hitting Wollongong Harbour?

Cheers,

Adam.

My surf re-entries aren't that pretty, especially being in a Pro Angler, that's why I only fish Austinmer when the swell is small.

Wollongong harbour is a great option when the swell is bigger as you just put in at the boat ramp in the harbour and pedal out.

No surf re-entries to worry about but just watch the pro boats heading out if you get there early.