Dirty Water Jews

cpanag

Hey all, just wanted people's opinions of the prospect of catching jewies in the dirty upper reaches of the estuaries, now that we've had a heap of rain. This is normally a good time of year to be chasing jewies in the upper reaches but do you think the dirty water will be have a negative impact on the fishing, due to baitfish likely being flushed out with all this fresh?

Personally I think that there will be some effect on the baitfish supply but the dirty water might get the jews really biting, giving them more of ann opportunity to ambush. It's something I've been thinking about and would be interested in everyone's opinion.

Mate, when there is dirty water you need to focus on the mouth of rivers, especially if there is a break wall or something near the mouth! Luring them is most popular with big hardbodies and plastics but i cant see why a livie wouldn't work either. Good luck :thumbup:

Im also keen to hear some other responses to this one.

I know fishing the current between the dirty and clean is a good thing but i've heard mixed opinions about the dirty water in the upper reaches....

Im giving roseville a crack this arvo with plastics and hard boddies anyway so ill see how i go in the chocolate soup thats there at the moment.

I'm interested to see how you guys all go. I'm keen to give Middle Harbour a go on Saturday, upstream of the Roseville Bridge. Have always had success on the flatties up that way but haven't managed to hook a jew as yet.

No good yesterday afternoon.....

Conditions were amazing so im guessing either they werent there or the angler needed more skill working the plastics and hardbodies.......Probably more the latter id expect.

Got there an hour after the tide due to work commitments but there was still some nice eddys.

Ill crack it one day :ranting2:

Hey all, just wanted people's opinions of the prospect of catching jewies in the dirty upper reaches of the estuaries, now that we've had a heap of rain. This is normally a good time of year to be chasing jewies in the upper reaches but do you think the dirty water will be have a negative impact on the fishing, due to baitfish likely being flushed out with all this fresh?

Personally I think that there will be some effect on the baitfish supply but the dirty water might get the jews really biting, giving them more of ann opportunity to ambush. It's something I've been thinking about and would be interested in everyone's opinion.

Jewfish don,t have any problem moving around in muddy brackish water , if you have a favourite upper river spot it,s worth the effort this week Low Moon and Large Tides :thumbup::thumbup: Goodluck

chris

I don't really think the brown water makes a difference till it washes the bait out of the area. If bait is there the jews will be to.

We fish holes to 90ft. At 90ft in a clear parra river ya not seeing anything either.

I'd say in brown water fish a lure that vibrates. I wouldn't throw a jerkshad in brown water, change to a paddle tail or a vibe/blade.

Hey Guys

Don't ever forget the famous work done 20 years ago and documented in all the fish Mags at the time for the Hawksbury..

That is Red Feathered lures. (Large).

And Yes GregL I concurr, at river mouths and only in heavy rain/flood conditions so that the baitfish are driven downsteam.

It won't work otherwise.

Cannot see any reason red feather lures would still not work.

Did for me up t0 10 years ago but have not targeted this method since.

Cheers

Trapper Tom.