Snowy Mountains fly fishing (report 1 of 2)

Hi Raiders,

I just got back from spending 4 wonderful days fishing the Eucumbene River.

Day 1

I left home at 6am and got to Cooma just after 11am. A quick stop into Alpine Angler to get the latest update on whats happening on the river before heading straight to Providence Portal. Checked-in, unpacked and geared up in record time.

The river was gin clear ad conditions were perfect.

post-13314-086155500 1307274297_thumb.jpg

I hiked towards my favourite spot checking each pool on the way. The first deep pool I came across had at least a dozen fish with some as long as your arm. As I rigged up, my heads were shaking like a leaf in anticipation of catching one of these monsters. After putting my glo bug several times in front of them, it became apparent that these fish had seen a few anglers before me and the river has been completely bombed in the morning. I proceeded to my spot to find it too was bombed out, but managed to pick-up this little brown

post-13314-033822200 1307274402_thumb.jpg

On my way back to the cabin, I had to try the first pool and managed to pick up this little hen rainbow.

post-13314-088270200 1307274438_thumb.jpg

Well, tomorrow is another day and I plan to be the first person on the river.

Day 2

I was on the river before light and picked up only 2 fish.

post-13314-079526700 1307274494_thumb.jpg

post-13314-021393700 1307274520_thumb.jpg

So I decided to move upstream as Ive heard reports of larger fish being caught past the Portal. There were a lot more anglers fishing upstream, so I found myself a quiet stretch of river to work. As I was drifting my glo bug, I saw a fish rise to the right of me. Letting the indicator drift past the spot, it went down and at first I thought I had the bottom. A fish took to the surface and the bottom started moving. After a few heart stopping minutes this 5 pound, 62cm brown was landed.

post-13314-039237000 1307274611_thumb.jpg

post-13314-049697800 1307274638_thumb.jpg

The fish looks rather thin in the photos as she dropped all her eggs when landed.

Hey Stewy, is this the new Fishraider brown trout record on fly?

I decided to call it a day shortly after.

Report 2 coming soon…

Regards Caddis

Edited by Caddis

Well done Caddis

Beautiful scenery and some lovely catch there.I've just got home from Jindabyne last night from my annual trout fishing trip(but 2nd year flyfishing) and will add a report when I get the pics off my mates camera.We were flyfishing the Thredbo river.Looking forward to your 2nd report.

Regards Kit

Very nice caddis you take the brown on glowie? Was she spent at all fins worn and a bit slabby I found browns spawna lot earlier than bows especially in NZ they are already dropping redds in April in some streams! Hey Matt, I'm still here in Aussie now so if you are keen to team up let me know amy chance to throw the feathers will do me!!!!

Very nice caddis you take the brown on glowie? Was she spent at all fins worn and a bit slabby I found browns spawna lot earlier than bows especially in NZ they are already dropping redds in April in some streams! Hey Matt, I'm still here in Aussie now so if you are keen to team up let me know amy chance to throw the feathers will do me!!!!

Hi Luderick -angler,

I was working a small nymph behind a Glo bug, however the Brown did take the Glowie. The majority of fish was caught on the Glowie, but occasionally the nymph was taken. I dropped some very big fish including a fish pushing the magic 10 pound mark which I’ll talk about in my second report.

Regards Chris