Tuff fishing in beautiful conditions

GregL

post-3563-042362800 1307489642_thumb.jpg

Well six days of flogging the water to foam resaulted in a couple of nice fish a day but one thing, ya couldn't complain about the conditions!

Fishing out of Gladstone for six days in a shut down situation we had to look a different species to keep the sanity!

Originally we intended to go chase the barra again but after 3 days of 12-14hr days our resaults were pretty average with only 10 landed to 110cm out of 20 bites.

We tried every type of lure in the boat and every retrieve we could think of but them barra had lock jaw :ranting2:

It wasn't as if they weren't there. There were hundreds of the buggers stacked up on the sounder/sidescans :1yikes: but man we gave it our best but our best just wasn't good enough on the day....

Here is one of the barra caught. This one was a tagged fish and my first tag recapture. She got another piece of yellow bling before release. My 110cm fish pix even made it to a mag coming out in a couple of months so I'll leave the pix of her out of this report. Heres a 98cm caught from the outflow of one of the power stations in the area.

post-3563-083171900 1307489795_thumb.jpg

The second half of the trip we went looking else where. The barra were just to frustrating and with the weather we had offshore even as an option.

With super early starts we went looking for mackerel and queenies that were stationed on the in coming tide out at the enterence of Gladstone Harbour. The buggers were jumping around the area like missiles. 5ft slabs 8ft clear of the water chasing baitfish. 3 mornings, 5 trips to the tackle shop for 5 baits taken and NO mackerels! :ranting2:

Travelling out to sea in a boat that has no sides to it is freaky. It's like sitting on a sled skipping across the water. Out there in 65ft of water I still could see the bottom! Oceanic toads and triggers at near every reef n wreck we stopped at till the shallower grounds inshore.....

Back in close fishing shallow grounds in the 15-20m mark it was just like fishing Sydney for snappers. Couldn't belive my luck when I had a text book snapper take on the drop, calling it a snapper on the hook up and netting red around 3kgs.

Jigging the wrecks with Jerkshads scored some nice Tuskfish to 45cm (potential FR record) :biggrin2: Grey mackerel to 96cm (another one) Tealeaf Trevally to 78cm (another) and Goldern trevally to 94cm (4th potential FR record) and snappers.

The funniest thing of the trip was watching a nice 5kg gOldern trevally come up and within a few meters of the surface with all of us watching, seeing a massive 200+kg cod swim up and eat the treva! The Chilidog had no chance! :074:

A few pics

MOses Perch

post-3563-066585200 1307491175_thumb.jpg

Grey Mackerel

post-3563-092093400 1307491258_thumb.jpg

Snapper

post-3563-040429600 1307491278_thumb.jpg

Goldern Trevally

post-3563-031349700 1307491294_thumb.jpg

Tuskfish

post-3563-085405900 1307491311_thumb.jpg

Snapper

post-3563-044609400 1307492681_thumb.jpg

Goldern

post-3563-080831400 1307491702_thumb.jpg

Thanks Jason for another great trip and putting in the extra effort to find us anything that pulled in such shut down conditions!

GregL

Edited by GregL

Originally we intended to go chase the barra again but after 3 days of 12-14hr days our resaults were pretty average with only 10 landed to 110cm out of 20 bites.

Oh you poor buggers! :biggrin2:

Terrific to read that Jason was able to salvage the trip for you Greg. Some great photos of assorted species there. I look forward to reading the article when it is released. Well done on yet another memorable Lure and Fly report! :thumbup:

Cheers

Ian

Oh you poor buggers! :biggrin2:

Exactly what i was thinking hodgey.... Id give my left nut to go fishing up there with those conditions. Even if it was tough you still got some great fish greg. Well done :thumbup:

Thanks guys!

Love me fishing and at the moment it's what keeps me going threw life!

Lifes full of ups and downs, take my devorce, 3 years so far and still going!!

In a finacial climate that we currently have, the livelyhood of over a thousand familys to worry about....

You guys are lucky and only see the best times of the life of Greg.....

It's not all smooth sailing but when the times right, play hard and don't stop till ya drop!

Cheers

Greg