Snowy Mountains fly fishing (report 2 of 2)

Day 3

I was up again before light, but this time I wasnt the only one on the river and I could see the head lights of at least 3 other cars. It was a cool -2 degrees and snowing. The laces to my boots were frozen stiff and next to impossible to tie up. This time, I decided to try the same spot I caught the 5 pound brown from yesterday. As the sky started to light up and the first rays of light hit the water, the fish made their appearance.

The first fish of the day was this rather lean brown taken on a Glo bug.

post-13314-064831400 1307537518_thumb.jpg

The next was this lovely little rainbow. You can see my home made Glo bug hanging from his mouth.

post-13314-051287400 1307537596_thumb.jpg

Shortly after, my reel ceased up and I was unable to pull line from the spool. Luckily my car wasnt too far away, so I tracked back to pick up the 5wt Loomis. By this time, there were a lot more anglers on the river, so I decided to head downstream back to my favourite spot. As I approached the river, I could see the browns doing their thing in the calmer waters. The place to fish is immediately downstream from the spawner, in the faster waters, as fish hang back feeding on the eggs that drift past. Sure enough, as soon as the Glo bug hit the water a rainbow leapt out of the water to engulf the fly.

post-13314-013329800 1307537628_thumb.jpg

Next was this solid Brown.

post-13314-031136500 1307537670_thumb.jpg

The fish must be packed in like sardines in this one stretch of river. The next fish was a large brown which took me downstream before busting me off 6 pound fluorocarbon.

Here is another brown taken.

post-13314-059009600 1307537713_thumb.jpg

I continued to fish into the evening catching many fish up to 4 pounds. I stopped counting how many fish I caught that day and was too lazy to take the camera out.

Day 4

My trip has come to an end, but not before having one last cast. I had the car packed the night before and planned to fish the morning and be back in Sydney for dinner. I started working a new section of river after receiving a tip that some big fish were caught the day before. As the first rays of light hit the water, the river came alive and this healthy rainbow landed.

post-13314-043321500 1307537771_thumb.jpg

Next, was this rainbow which fell to a Glo bug nymph.

post-13314-059544900 1307537806_thumb.jpg

Then suddenly, the indicator went down and before I could even strike the rod loaded up, taking the slack and peeling line from the reel. The fish headed straight for cover, into the bank. I gave the fish a couple of sharp strikes trying to sink the hook which only made him angry. He took to the surface, shaking his enormous tail and I could see the fish was in the double digit range. The fish was broad and easily larger than the brown caught on day 2. The fish was downstream in a split second and my rod was pointing at the fish. The Glo bug popped out of his mouth, the line went slack and my stomach sank. We all know the dreadful feeling of losing a good fish.

Unfortunately, my trip has come to an end and I did promise the wife I would be back in time for dinner, so I reluctantly made my way back to the car and back to Sydney.

Regards Caddis

Edited by Caddis

nice yery very nice fish Caddis very envious as I can't make it down before close so will head down for open hopefully! Greg I have found over the years silver fish entering rivers are maiden run fish and once they enter the river tend to colour up and get the dark back and flanks and retain that they will either stay and reside in the river or once spent die or go back to the sea/lake to fatten up for next years spawn! Stelheads use the lakes as an ocean and its the floods and temp drops which signals them to leave the lake and enter the rivers, its a fascinatin gcycle andif you a really good understanding read volcanic trout by Brendan Matthews an awesome book.

Cheers

Royce

Hi Caddis,

Some nice fish especially that great Browny. Thats a great fish on fly in anyones book. The big fellas just have a knack in throwing that fly back at you don't they. Just got back myself so will post a report later today. Did you see the big fish in the Portal pools?

Paul

On Strike

Hi Caddis,

Some nice fish especially that great Browny. Thats a great fish on fly in anyones book. The big fellas just have a knack in throwing that fly back at you don't they. Just got back myself so will post a report later today. Did you see the big fish in the Portal pools?

Paul

On Strike

Hello Paul,

Yes I did see the fish trapped in the Portal Pool. I throw nearly every fly in my box at them and didn't get a touch. I did meet someone that caught a couple on lures. Did you pick up anthing big?

Regards Chris

Edited by Caddis

Hi Chris,

Like you I managed to lose my big fish with insult added to injury as my so called fishing mate laughed himself stupid as I fell over on the snowy bank as I struck and then lost the fish which he had clear view of from his elevated position. We caught a lot of fish but the biggest being a 3.5lb brown ( all coloured up with spawning rub marks on his bum ) and a great 3lb rainbow ( all weighed in the weigh net ) All fish released. Did have a nasty chat with a so called fisherman who not only fished over the top of us as we landed a fish but then proceeded to walk the middle of the run to unsnag his globug and then have the hide to tell us to F off after I politely suggested he learn fly fishing etiquette. I managed one brown about 2lb out of the portal pools on dark with a wooly bugger first cast. Second cast I got demolished by one of the bigger ones. As we left we were passed by 4 cars all full of fisherman and camping gear heading down to the river. You couldn't pay me to be there for the close weekend.

Paul

On Strike

Two fantastic reports, Chris! :yahoo:

I have heard some very good reports coming out of Eucembene for the last couple of weeks, and the Glo bugs seem to be a common success story. It sounds like you had an exceptional trip away mate. A great read and some superb photos! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Cheers

Hodgey