kayaks - Please Help

PRED-ATOR

Hi Riaders,

Ive been doing a bit of fishing shopping lately and on my list is a kayak.

I already have a boat so i dont want some really big fancy thing. I just want something simple, LIGHT, and something i can put on roof racks and take off easily by my self.

Something with rod holder and a place to put tackle in.

I really do not want to spend to much money, is there anything in what im looking for in the 4-$700 range?

Thanks Stan

Hi Riaders,

I already have a boat so i dont want some really big fancy thing. I just want something simple, LIGHT, and something i can put on roof racks and take off easily by my self.

I really do not want to spend to much money, is there anything in what im looking for in the 4-$700 range?

Thanks Stan

Check out the Viking Nemo, or some of the smaller Ocean Kayak range.

Cheers,

S.

I have an Australis kayak. Use it on the nepean for bass, on the harbour for kings (on a nice day) and lake lyall for trout. It is basic, stable, light yak (think it is about 16kg) that does many jobs just fine. It only has room for one rod holder and I run a small sounder. Tackle trays can be stowed behind the seat.

It would depend on what and where you expect to use it and the style eg, sit in or sit on top as to what you end up with. I like my sit in because it is warmer in winter you are a bit more protected from the sun on your legs in summer and I don't get as wet if it rains. A lot harder to get back into if you fall out though! (haven't had to yet. Touch wood.) Is also wider and less streamlined than some, so when fishing snags for bass half a paddle doesn't send me 10m down the river, If you are traveling some distance is a bit slow compared to an ocean yak though.

hope this helps.

Mick.

thanks guys, im looking at buying brand new.

Ok ive some more questions, which one is better sit on or sit in? the sit on looks more comfortable.

Another question, if i tip over/capsize wont i just lose all my stuff? im going to be using it for the harbour and hawkesbury/nepean and the like.

Also is it easy to fall out? i was using a basic canoe/kayak in hamilton island but i was deliberately trying to capsize it (for a laugh at my girls reaction) so i dont really have a good idea.

Also, how do people transport them? tow or roof rack? i only want to use a roof rack.

Thanks again guys

Ok ive some more questions, which one is better sit on or sit in? the sit on looks more comfortable.

Another question, if i tip over/capsize wont i just lose all my stuff? im going to be using it for the harbour and hawkesbury/nepean and the like.

Also is it easy to fall out? i was using a basic canoe/kayak in hamilton island but i was deliberately trying to capsize it (for a laugh at my girls reaction) so i dont really have a good idea.

Also, how do people transport them? tow or roof rack? i only want to use a roof rack.

Thanks again guys

The different styles will suit different uses.

Sit on top will- Take a small wash over it if you were using it in the surf for example they will have "drain" holes in them to allow water to pass through. They will be better in rough conditions due to being stiffer in the way they are constructed. A foam seat and backrest can be fitted to most sit on tops which can be quite comfortable. they generally have sealed in hull storage compartments front and back. Rod holders and accessories are usually easier to fit to sit on tops.

My sit in has a moulded plastic seat that is comfortable with a thin foam pad on it.

A bungee cord can be fitted to most kayaks around the top to tie off your valuables in event of a rollover. Or stick on velcro for your tackle boxes. They will of course get wet.

They are quite stable whilst sitting in them because the weight is down low to the water.

Roof racks for a kayak are easy. Most brands of roof racks sell dedicated canoe mounts and accessories for them. I have the ROLA style. I think they are good because the mounts can be taken off very quickly when not in use and come with all straps and accessories. For some brands you can also buy a paddle holder attachment!

A decent paddle is a must too.

I would suggest trying out a couple of different types before buying.

I have an Australis kayak. Use it on the nepean for bass, on the harbour for kings (on a nice day) and lake lyall for trout. It is basic, stable, light yak (think it is about 16kg) that does many jobs just fine. It only has room for one rod holder and I run a small sounder. Tackle trays can be stowed behind the seat.

It would depend on what and where you expect to use it and the style eg, sit in or sit on top as to what you end up with. I like my sit in because it is warmer in winter you are a bit more protected from the sun on your legs in summer and I don't get as wet if it rains. A lot harder to get back into if you fall out though! (haven't had to yet. Touch wood.) Is also wider and less streamlined than some, so when fishing snags for bass half a paddle doesn't send me 10m down the river, If you are traveling some distance is a bit slow compared to an ocean yak though.

hope this helps.

Mick.

My first kayak was an Australis, the bass sit in kayak. It was an impulse buy, but then led me to a love affair with kayak fishing. Whilst I own a Hobie Revo these days, I learnt a lot from my Australis Bass kayak, and now that I think about it, I was pushing my luck taking it out off Balmoral many times.... ;).

Thanks again guys

If you want to venture out into river systems, Harbour, I would recommend a sit on top. Some are more stable than others, the RTM Tango Angler is a nice little yak too.

Saftey is paramount, buy yourself a good PFD2 too. My Hobie Revo is 28kg, and I've have learnt a special lift to get onto my roof racks. A place like Narrabeen lakes is a great place to learn your paddling, and there is a few kayak hire places in the area. There's a ton of kayak fishing sites too with a wealth of info.

My first kayak was an Australis, the bass sit in kayak. It was an impulse buy, but then led me to a love affair with kayak fishing. Whilst I own a Hobie Revo these days, I learnt a lot from my Australis Bass kayak, and now that I think about it, I was pushing my luck taking it out off Balmoral many times.... ;).

I have learnt heaps from the Australis bass yak too. If I had a fatter wallet I would be defiantly in a Hobie!!!

hey guys, i think im going to go with a sit on kayak. They seem to suit my needs better.

with this in mind, guys do you know anymore brands or places i can look at for sit on kayaks under $600 ?

Thanks Raiders,

Stan

hey guys, i think im going to go with a sit on kayak. They seem to suit my needs better.

with this in mind, guys do you know anymore brands or places i can look at for sit on kayaks under $600 ?

Thanks Raiders,

Stan

Hi Stan, in that price range, you are better off looking on-line auction sites for a second hand entry level fishing yak. That's your best bet I reckon.

cheers,

S,

At $400-700 new, you will be restricted at what you can really look at. Plus, with many yaks, you then have to add the price of a paddle, pfd, rod holder & other stuff. If you can convince any family & friends to give you $$ for your next birthday & Xmas pressie, then go looking at a yak closer to $1000 ....... you'd do better

I recently saw a new Hobie Quest (paddle yak, not pedal) going for less than $1000. A seriously good sit on yak that would cope with swell & waves & inshore fishing.

Go out & try as many as you can (even if out of your price range) as this is the only way to find what will suit you. Take a rod & tackle with you when you try them. Usually, you gets what you pays for!

Roberta

Hi Riaders,

Thanks Stan

Malibu Mini X fits the bill perfectly, I've got one and it's under 20 kilos and very easy to manage. On the water it's a little slow but it's very stable. Best thing about it is it's a fishing kayak and it's very easy to pimp out. I've installed a Lowrance X4 sounder, scotty rod holder and anchor trolley.

I'd also recommend that you do some searches on this Yak I'm not the only Mini X fan out there.

At $400-700 new, you will be restricted at what you can really look at. Plus, with many yaks, you then have to add the price of a paddle, pfd, rod holder & other stuff. If you can convince any family & friends to give you $$ for your next birthday & Xmas pressie, then go looking at a yak closer to $1000 ....... you'd do better

I recently saw a new Hobie Quest (paddle yak, not pedal) going for less than $1000. A seriously good sit on yak that would cope with swell & waves & inshore fishing.

Go out & try as many as you can (even if out of your price range) as this is the only way to find what will suit you. Take a rod & tackle with you when you try them. Usually, you gets what you pays for!

Roberta

Agree with Roberta. I owned a Hobie Quest before switching to the Revolution. The Quest is an excellent all rounder, very stable, quick, tracks well without a rudder. The only downside is that it's slightly heavy to lift. I do miss the Quest at times and wished I kept it alongside the Revo.

Here's mine that I let go for just over 1K a little while back.

Cheers,

S.

post-449-047060300 1308738590_thumb.jpg

Edited by spizza

Agree with Roberta. I owned a Hobie Quest before switching to the Revolution. The Quest is an excellent all rounder, very stable, quick, tracks well without a rudder. The only downside is that it's slightly heavy to lift. I do miss the Quest at times and wished I kept it alongside the Revo.

Here's mine that I let go for just over 1K a little while back.

Cheers,

S.

wow that is one serious kayak. its more decked out that most boats! lol

wow that is one serious kayak. its more decked out that most boats! lol

lol, that was only due to a day of prospecting all opportunities and covering all bases....troll around headland, drop down a live, chase some pelagics with metals, spin some plastics, drop anchor etc.

Some of the best sessions are one rod in hand (the fishing type :) ), paddle out and start having fun. ;).

Be warned, it's almost guaranteed that if you buy a kayak and start fishing from it, you will become infatuated in pimping it up.

cheers,

S.

lol, that was only due to a day of prospecting all opportunities and covering all bases....troll around headland, drop down a live, chase some pelagics with metals, spin some plastics, drop anchor etc.

Some of the best sessions are one rod in hand (the fishing type :) ), paddle out and start having fun. ;).

Be warned, it's almost guaranteed that if you buy a kayak and start fishing from it, you will become infatuated in pimping it up.

cheers,

S.

"Some of the best sessions are one rod in hand (the fishing type :)" LOL HAHAHA

Edited by PRED-ATOR