Fishing trip in Port Douglas or Carins

chrism.1986

Hi All

I am new to this forum, and was hoping for some help with recommended fishing charters from port douglas?

I am going to be up in port for a week in July and really want to get into the reef fishing, I will have access to neighbouring palm cove and cairns also and am basically wanting to find out if anyone can recommend a good charter.

I keen also to do some land based fishing and I reckon that the gear I use for the bay isnt going to cut it for the bigger fish up in FNQ, has anyone done any landbased from cairns or port douglas?

Cheers

Chris.

Hi Mike

Thanks for the fast reply :)

Me and my brother are going up on 19th July till 26th so will miss the dates unfortunately. A mate of mine from townsville went up a few weeks back and landed a few nice queenfish and a big dart from the beach (4 mile beach?) I think he called it.

Cant wait to get up there! looks like an awesome place.

Cheers

Chris.

Hey mate, pm sent about which charter to use.

As for the landbased stuff, Palm Cove Jetty is the way to go. I would have a couple of rods, one heavier one with a livie or big butterflied bait out under a balloon and you get monster Spanish Mackerel, Giant Trevally, Sharks and Tuna. Fish a patternoster rig on the other with fish bits for Red Emperor, Coral Trout, Barramundi, Giant Trevally, Mackerel and Queenfish! I saw a spanish mackerel around 45lbs landed when i was last there.

I would stay away from the cairns estuary charters as there have been some disappointed raiders reporting about them lately. The estuary at Port douglas is also worth a go. Hire a tinny and get yourself some lures and livies and find yourself a nice secluded spot in the mangrove lined creeks and have a crack at some jacks and barra!

Good Luck, Tom

i went on a group charter last year and had a ball.

it was a big boat with about 12 people all using hand lines and bottom bashing. i was a bit disappointed at 1st but it was ALOT of fun (8kg Golden trev on a hand line :biggrin2: ). The small fish we hauled up were used as livies out the back of the boat (where i was) and it was 1st in best dressed when the rods went off. I wasnt quick enough hauling in a spanish mack before the sharks got it (but i got the head lol)

pm sent

I'd be interested in advice by PM on good charters in Cairns or Port Douglas. sportfishing oriented rather than bait and reef bashing.

My wife and I are hoping to get away for a short break of about 4 or 5 nights at the end of July. No definite dates yet, just browsing Wotif at this stage. We want to spend one day out on the reef and have a snorkel, a day out fishing if possible and the rest just veging.

Thanks,

Baz