Hairtail in Sydney Harbour?

rikkigilbey

So, ive been reading about the illusive Hairtail and they sound like a pretty cool winter fish for around here and so i was wandering if anyone knows whether they can fished for within Sydney the harbour from shore? any tips locations would be greatly appreciated and if anyone wishes to show me on a session, even better.

Gilbey

They were caught in the harbour once upon a time... Have not been around for years and years though. In saying that, the last few seasons in the Hawkesbury have been very quiet as well but they seem to have made a come back this year so who knows, perhaps one day they will be caught in the harbour again too

Hey Guys

Stewy spot on, yes newcastle harbour was a damn good spot for them.

And yes Clifton Gardens in Syd H and the deep holes in Botany Bay.

I might suggest that if they have made it into the hawksbury they may/probably have made it to these other areas.

Mind you too bloody cold for me now a days to have a crack at em.

Interesting theory Stewy and one I concurr with.

In my past posts I have always siad "Why were these things there then dwindled away to not being there.

Its not a case they were there and not there and there again which would indicate migratory patterns etc.

The decline and then disappearance of them is classic collapse of a fish stock.

Even the ones caught this year are very small compared to the 2 +metre prehistoric scary monsters we used to catch.

Still interesting/mystery that they still do not know where they come from or where they go to.

I hope the buggers that made it in actually make it back out again. If so, and if they can get back in next year, then the fish size should be bigger next year. Will be interesting to see next year. Put a flag in your dairy for that aspect Stewy, I have and will re-visit next year and post on the subject.

Cheers

Trapper Tom

Let's hope they're back next year, they gotta get past the pro's and then the fishermen, as someone said in another post, they saw 17 boats fishing for them in one bay.

That was on a week day! I wonder how many boats will be out tonight, sat and sun night in that same bay? :1yikes: Glad i work weekends :thumbup:

Quite a while back, i was handlining a wharf in the parra river with small baits for bream, hookin up something formidable and gettin cutoff,got done quite a few times, to my amazement a mate at a later date hooked and landed a hairtail at the same possie,i was quite astonished as to movements of a such a great adversary, going to give it a go in august, as i wll be away travelling europe throughout july, will keep u raiders posted........