A day of firsts

Howdoweplaythis

I've only just got into fishing. Been going on and off for about 6 months and I've only caught two legal fish in my life, the largest being a 30cm whiting.

Arrived at around 10am. It was completely dead for about 4 hours except for an octopus which we lost. After high tide things started to liven up a little. Something kept nibbling and stealing my bait so I downsized to a size 10 hook. Chucked my line out in front of the jetty and instantly hooked onto a small cuttlefish. Never caught one before, so I was very pleased!

27x43go.jpg

The next hour saw a few undersized bream and snapper being caught. Then something had a go at my bait. I thought it was another undersized bream at first until it started taking out some line, so I thought maybe a legal bream. I've never caught a legal bream either so I was pretty stoked! Today was the first day I decided to teach myself how to use my drag. I normally just fish with it off. I managed to bring it closer to the jetty and I saw it was MUCH bigger than I anticipated :1yikes: . I got it to the surface and we borrowed a net from a fellow fisho at the jetty. Had a few nervous moments with the fish going around the jetty and the line getting tangled on the pylons. Had the drag too soft and I was wondering why it wouldn't come in further :biggrin2: . Managed to get it into the net and I was over the moon!

Turned out to be a 66cm salmon! Caught on a size 10 hook with a peeled prawn by a guy with no idea how to fight a fish. Would you believe it. I'll take this as a learning experience :biggrin2: .

28rnkae.jpg

That smile will take a long time to wipe away :biggrin2:

Well done mate .

those cuttlefish are tricky buggers, if you have a few spare dollars grab a squid jig and put it on a handline or spare rod if you have one. if you think they are around chuck it in and you might get a couple. they are really good bait

salmon are great fun , youll be even more hooked now!

Good Work

morgs :thumbup:

I've only just got into fishing. Been going on and off for about 6 months and I've only caught two legal fish in my life, the largest being a 30cm whiting.

Arrived at around 10am. It was completely dead for about 4 hours except for an octopus which we lost. After high tide things started to liven up a little. Something kept nibbling and stealing my bait so I downsized to a size 10 hook. Chucked my line out in front of the jetty and instantly hooked onto a small cuttlefish. Never caught one before, so I was very pleased!

27x43go.jpg

The next hour saw a few undersized bream and snapper being caught. Then something had a go at my bait. I thought it was another undersized bream at first until it started taking out some line, so I thought maybe a legal bream. I've never caught a legal bream either so I was pretty stoked! Today was the first day I decided to teach myself how to use my drag. I normally just fish with it off. I managed to bring it closer to the jetty and I saw it was MUCH bigger than I anticipated :1yikes: . I got it to the surface and we borrowed a net from a fellow fisho at the jetty. Had a few nervous moments with the fish going around the jetty and the line getting tangled on the pylons. Had the drag too soft and I was wondering why it wouldn't come in further :biggrin2: . Managed to get it into the net and I was over the moon!

Turned out to be a 66cm salmon! Caught on a size 10 hook with a peeled prawn by a guy with no idea how to fight a fish. Would you believe it. I'll take this as a learning experience :biggrin2: .

28rnkae.jpg

That smile will take a long time to wipe away :biggrin2:

I have fished Balmoral jetty about 5 times in the last few weeks and only got yakkas, Trevally, bream, Just undersize snapper and flounder! Salmon is my target as i have been fishing with 4 rods with ganged pili, prawn, live yakka and a yakka fillet. Hope to get out tomorrow and maybe ill get lucky too! Good Salmon!

Tom

Great catch! You clearly outdid your previous fishing PB. So what did the fish weigh? How strong was the line you were using?

I've only got a pair of bathroom scales so I had to make do with that. It gave me an estimate of 3.5-4kg after bleeding, before gutting. I hear they don't taste very good but given it was my first, I decided to keep it anyway. Thinking about how I should cook it up for dinner :D . I used 10lb mono main line with a 6lb fluoro leader.

I have fished Balmoral jetty about 5 times in the last few weeks and only got yakkas, Trevally, bream, Just undersize snapper and flounder! Salmon is my target as i have been fishing with 4 rods with ganged pili, prawn, live yakka and a yakka fillet. Hope to get out tomorrow and maybe ill get lucky too! Good Salmon!

Tom

How did you go today?

I've only got a pair of bathroom scales so I had to make do with that. It gave me an estimate of 3.5-4kg after bleeding, before gutting. I hear they don't taste very good but given it was my first, I decided to keep it anyway. Thinking about how I should cook it up for dinner :D . I used 10lb mono main line with a 6lb fluoro leader.

How did you go today?

Going tomorrow mate, were there any yakkas around or being caught?

They are always harder to get in winter but last time i managed 6 yakkas while others didnt and i was using alot of disguisting burley (bread, pilchard, tuna oil and cat food)! This got them on the bite. Hope it works tomorrow! Hoping for a salmon too!