Winter Kings

quintrex52

G Day raiders, headed out to Sydney harbour Sunday morning after seeing some promising conditions on seabreeze and the day didn't disappoint with almost flat seas and a light 10 knot wind. Venturing out wasn't to optimistic with the water temp at the ramp being only 15 degrees. Anyhow we started flicking around for some squid and managed 3 fairly large specimens. We now had bait and decided to sound up the harbour with nothing much around so we headed to some of the offshore reefs/wrecks where the water temp got up to 19 degrees. In the end we managed to pull up 6 kings, two over the meter mark and got smoked twice by bigger fish :ranting2: What was i thinking with 40lbs leader?? Very stoked with the results as this was the first time we have attempted winter kings, definatly be doing it more often.

post-18511-029972200 1309130230_thumb.jpg

post-18511-043626900 1309130252_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dangler7

G Day raiders, headed out to Sydney harbour Sunday morning after seeing some promising conditions on seabreeze and the day didn't disappoint with almost flat seas and a light 10 knot wind. Venturing out wasn't to optimistic with the water temp at the ramp being only 15 degrees. Anyhow we started flicking around for some squid and managed 3 fairly large specimens. We now had bait and decided to sound up the harbour with nothing much around so we headed to some of the offshore reefs/wrecks where the water temp got up to 19 degrees. In the end we managed to pull up 6 kings, two over the meter mark and got smoked twice by bigger fish :ranting2: What was i thinking with 40lbs leader?? Very stoked with the results as this was the first time we have attempted winter kings, definatly be doing it more often.

Thats very nice kings there well done .

Great to be out especially with flat seas :thumbup::thumbup:

chris

Great fish boys, well done on some solid kings.

Were you marking much on the sounder? It was pretty dead there on friday

Gday Andrew. Yeah during the tide change, the screen was full of bait fish (Not Jackets thank god) then the kings turned up not far behind.Action was hot for only 40 mins or so then it got quiet and the occasional rats moved in. Bad luck on your Friday efforts

Edited by Dangler7

Well done gents.

Looks awesome!!

Have hoodlums turned up during the morning or afternoon tide change by the way??

Thanks.

Great work boys. Think i saw you ou there. I have been dusted on some much heavier gear than you were using - go big as there are some monsters there at tmes!

Thought is was you, just wasn't sure. Yeah it was strange the leader broke 1cm away from the swivel both times, not the actual knot. And they were well off the bottom. Ill upgrade to 80lbs

Nice effort and well done guys.

How big were the squid and did you put them out whole or strip them up? I caught some 50+ cm squid but thought they would be shark bait if I put them out whole. Your thoughts?

Cheers,

Andrew

We only got 3 squid close to 30cm hood length, all kings were caught on strips/wings/heads ect, also dropped down a big slimey which was scarred all over by kingfish bites but obviously could be swallowed. Then as the slimey stopped moving i pull it up only to find a head left! Looked like it got mauled by LJs. Ive never personally used whole squid unless i catch them in numbers (8 or more) caught many decent fish on strips and its alot more resourceful. Hope this helps Andrew cheers