TCD wind direction question

bombora

Hi all, finally should have a weekend free this weekend. And, hopefully, will be able to get out to Thompsons Creek Dam for the first time. The Lithgow forecast at the moment is for both Saturday and Sunday to have temps of 1C to 12C, but Saturday winds are forecast to be 2km/h from West at 9am but 2km/h from North at 3pm. Sunday is forecast to be 8km/h from West at 9am and 9km/h from West at 3pm.

The Saturday forecast is looking really tempting BUT I think I read somewhere in my hours of Google searching for TCD info that the dam is a shocker in a north wind????

So any TCD fans think the same. I know many say it fishes way better when stormy/windy etc but the prospect of a glassy day on Saturday is appealing. But not if a North wind is a shut down wind? Could do Sunday if Saturday considered no good. Will be, if I go, spin fishing mini and micro hair/feather jigs. Have also tied/painted some 1/8th TT Rev Heads with either gold heads and black bucktail, or black heads with pink or orange rabbit tails. Idea is Celta-like vibration but can be cast long. reckon they'd work?

Bombora- you are worrying way too much mate!

Go there- experience the dam, learn how and where to fish, and no matter if you are at TCD or anywhere else- being able to fish, learn and overcome "obstacles"- are part of the whole ongoing learning curve of fishing.

Even if a Tsunami with snow goes thru there- if you can fish in those conditions you are on your way to becoming a better fisherman. Enjoy the drive, the exploration, the challenge and adventure.

Cheers,

Matt

Hi Bombora,

Those wind speeds wouldn't stop me going on either day to be honest. There is usually somewhere to fish in any wind at TCD. The only thing is the distance you have to walk to find the sheltered parts. But if you're up to it give it a go. You can learn heaps online but will learn more being there. Cant catch fish if your lines not in the water. I fly fish so cant comment on the lure part. Good luck and let us know how you go. Oh yeah and remember to rug up. It gets verrrrry cold up there.

Paul

On Strike.

Ditto to both the above posts.

Bear in mind it could be dead calm and sunny at Lithgow itself, and up at TCD blowing the bills off the ducks and snowing! The dam has it's own climate, You wont know till you get there. (usually windy and cold!)

Good luck!