Bream hole - narrabeen lake

lostproperty

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck fishing here land based before ? Apparently it's mean to hold alot of bream but looks pretty shallow from the shore, is it somewhere better targeted from a kayak or small tinny ?

]Whats the Bream hole? By the sounds o fit its a hole and this suggests easier fished from a boat or kayak. I would try some other spots if you were landbased. Some starting points are near the caravan park there is a platform. Fish with live worms, nippers or prawns which can be purchased from the local tackle store. I get flatties, bream and whiting here with the occassional tailor or leatherjacket. You could also try the channel that empty's into the ocean. Set up near the beach itself and fish a high tide. I have seen tailor and whiting pulled out of here on live worms and prawns. you may even get a jew if your lucky as this is the only entrance point to the lake for them!

Tom

grew up around the lake back when they water skied and dredged

bream hole?? no idea!

although i think youd tend to find em ocean end

as said caravan park /ocean bridge is always good for bream/whiting/flathead

flathead up the back wakehurst parkway/deep creek way know of some 1mt plus specimens caught

the entrance is a great spot for jews if the entrance is open

and prawning at the right time of year

most of the lake is fairly shallow

however at the bottlenecks [pittwater rd and ocean street bridges] the current does gouge out some deep areas

Apparently the spot from wimbeldon park across to the park on wakehurst is referred to as bream hole in a few books I've read recently but doesn't look like I'll be able to get a good enough cast to reach the drop off if there is one, water runs along the point so probably is a little channel in there, I'll have a crack at the caravan park, haven't had much luck on the ocean side of the bridge

Apparently the spot from wimbeldon park across to the park on wakehurst is referred to as bream hole in a few books I've read recently but doesn't look like I'll be able to get a good enough cast to reach the drop off if there is one, water runs along the point so probably is a little channel in there, I'll have a crack at the caravan park, haven't had much luck on the ocean side of the bridge

Its worth maybe getting up early as in 5:30 and getting there for a good session before the crowds arrive. In fact, Try tomorrow or Friday! High tide is at around 8 am so aim to start fishing around 6:30-7:00 with live worms and maybe a prawn or nipper and i would be surprised if you didnt get a fish or two! We are talking Caravan Park and Entrance channel though. I reckon entrance channel mate. Better chance of a good fish! Might even get a jewie!

You think Tom ? I did just this but Sunday arvo on incoming tide, barely even a nibble at the entrance, I was right at the Bach though, should I move closer to the bridge ? I've seen heaps of mullet in that channel before but no chance of catching them, tried to burley them up with bread and the seagulls just took it all hahaha if I can get up I'll go tomorrow most likely just be using peeled prawns tho, where sells like worms at 5:30am ?

You think Tom ? I did just this but Sunday arvo on incoming tide, barely even a nibble at the entrance, I was right at the Bach though, should I move closer to the bridge ? I've seen heaps of mullet in that channel before but no chance of catching them, tried to burley them up with bread and the seagulls just took it all hahaha if I can get up I'll go tomorrow most likely just be using peeled prawns tho, where sells like worms at 5:30am ?

Were you right out past the bridge next to the ocean? There are usually good fish here. Obviously the fact that its winter means that it isn't quite as active but at a high tide i would expect soem good action there. This is the only spot fish have to enter and exit the lake. When you think of it maybe fish an hour or two before high tide and you will get the tailor schools coming in and then for the next few hous after the tide has turned yuo will get a better variety as fish like salmon, bream, flatties, tailor and jews will be exiting the lake. Sometimes it isn't this simple but i would still expect a few fish to be around.

Yeah I was maybe I wasn't there at the right time in the tide, just had pilchard and a light leader I'll keep trying though there was alot of ppl on the beach this day and someone has posted a report from that same day stating had almost no bites there also in the morning, if I'd read that I would have gone to Roseville !

Yeah I was maybe I wasn't there at the right time in the tide, just had pilchard and a light leader I'll keep trying though there was alot of ppl on the beach this day and someone has posted a report from that same day stating had almost no bites there also in the morning, if I'd read that I would have gone to Roseville !

When you say pilchard do you mean a whole pili or a cubed piece? Try those prawns or worms next time as they are more likely to get the fish when they are proving hard to catch!

Actually Tom now you mention it I started with pilchard cubes then switched to peeled prawns I think I had a nibble on the prawns but discovered how much easier peel prawns are to bait up that ones in shells so happy with that for next time, inwas actually thinking about going to Roseville after work today the lake is top far out of my way..

Actually Tom now you mention it I started with pilchard cubes then switched to peeled prawns I think I had a nibble on the prawns but discovered how much easier peel prawns are to bait up that ones in shells so happy with that for next time, inwas actually thinking about going to Roseville after work today the lake is top far out of my way..

Good luck if you went. It might even be worth trying wharf fishing for a while to ge the hang of it. Most harbour wharves hold bream, flathead, salmon, tailor, snapper and some also have bonito, kingies and jewies. I started off as a wharf fisherman and still do it now as i get the most out of it. I get alot of small snapper and bream at my local wharf but usually there is something good like a slamon, tailor or a big flattie like last time (which unfortunately broke my 8lb leader before it could be netted! :ranting2: . Its a safer option as the success rating is higher than other places for beginners! :thumbup:

Will def have a try of the wharves, I went down today heaps of ppl there this arvo, so I went to the right side of the bridge and burlied up with pillies and fished with peeled prawns, caught heaps of little bream and a baby snapper, went up to a bigger hook and started landing tailor as well, all undersized tho, but was really good practice with my strike, was a productive day

Will def have a try of the wharves, I went down today heaps of ppl there this arvo, so I went to the right side of the bridge and burlied up with pillies and fished with peeled prawns, caught heaps of little bream and a baby snapper, went up to a bigger hook and started landing tailor as well, all undersized tho, but was really good practice with my strike, was a productive day

Good to hear! Keep at it!

dominic i notice your at balgowlah

Why not try down at the spit bridge

Kingies/tailor/flathead /bream/whiting around the sand as well

its a great bottleneck and some good deep water maybe for Jew on a run out

Good to hear mate, wat bait were u using ? Were u just fishing from the caravan park ?

live nippers mate virtually unweighted on light leader, was fishing the holes round the woolies bridge :biggrin2:

There are alot of different area's to fish around the spit bridge area. You can fish under the bridge on both sides and this can produce catches of Bream near the pylons. Live baiting with Squid, Yellowtail or Mullet in the deep channel can produce Jew and King fish for the lucky ones who are willing to put in the time and effort, and Tailor can be taken in the channel as well. Other species can also come out of this area including Flathead and pike. Fishing around from the marina in the bay on the southern side of the bridge can produce good catches of Bream in around the boats and moorings, Flathead are also good catches from this area. Burleying up with bread can attract Garfish that can be caught with the aid of a float, or with bread files on a fly rod. Further around the bay a bit further on the rocks you might be able to find Leatherjacket, Flathead and Bream. On the other side of the bridge you can find some area from the rocks to fish, and further around there is a large area of sand flats where you could wade and try for Flathead, Whiting, and Bream on hardbody and soft plastic lures or flies.

copied from http://www.shorefishingaustralia.com.au/Locations.do;jsessionid=53D72F04B847466939BC4B5D37876083?action=ShowRegion&regionID=1#2

hope im allowed to acknowledge that

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&q=spit%20bridge%20fishing&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=1469l5641l0l11l11l0l4l4l0l328l1625l0.3.3.1l7&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1920&bih=975&wrapid=tlif130986297242111&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=il

study the google map

plenty of good spots to try

u probably have a parking permit as well