Shimano Stradic gripe

PM79

As I've said in other topics I just bought my first Stradic(s) last week and while it's a fantastic reel I have a gripe already, the maintenance port.

The plastic is so weak that even with a wide flat head screwdriver it digs into the sides of the slot.

I had to remove the gnarled bits with a razor blade and sand the top with 2000 grit sandpaper.

They should have made it out of aluminium.

Also when I removed the rotor there was a tiny dark grey plastic washer about 5mm in diameter stuck to underside near the bail trip lever.

It isn't on the exploded diagram, I took the rotor off the other 2500FI and there wasn't one.

Edited by reLapse

• 2 weeks later...

I also just got a stradic, how often are you oiling it?

was the screw very tight?

Ive only used mine twice now.

The tiny dark grey washer is the "winding shape washer" isnt it?

My box came with 4 different washers in it.

G'day relapse,

It sounds like the washer you found is one of the spacers that adjust the shape of your line load. They sit on the spool shaft under the spool.

As for the oiling port I've never had a problem with them. It probably just got done up too tight in the factory but I'm sure you could get a replacement with no problems from Shimano. I've got a bunch of Stradics and they're fantastic, reliable work-horses for me.

Cheers, Slinky

how often are you oiling it?

I haven't used mine yet, so it depends on how much use they see.

G'day relapse,

It sounds like the washer you found is one of the spacers that adjust the shape of your line load. They sit on the spool shaft under the spool.

Here's a side by side comparison of the line load spacers and the washer/spacer I found and as you can see it's too small to be the former.

I think it might be the spacer (RD 2409) which goes on the bottom of the worm shaft or the washer (RD10683) that goes on the bail assembly, it probably fell into the rotor during assembly.

post-4971-005059300 1310509186_thumb.jpg