Emergency call

Slink

Hi All,

You probably heard last weekend that a man went missing overboard on a yacht that is wife was on . Well my mate and I were the first at the scene , saw a lady waving our boat over so we went to see what the trouble was. As we approched she was screaming that her husband was overboard and she was unsure where he fell as she was sleeping. My mate and I thought " Oh my God " where did you last see him. She was saying that it was around long reef but the area is quite large. So we called for help on the radio and started searching the area , to no avail. It was dead calm , no wind chop and no current .

I got in touch with marine rescue and they sent the choppers and boats , now I always though that it would'nt take long for the choppers to arrive if I was in danger but it was around 40 mins till any help was on the scene. Meanwhile I had to board the vessel and calm the lady aswell as search the vessel for the husband, pretty heavy and something that i am not familiar with.

As you might know , the body has not been retrieved yet so I am half expecting a call from the authorities so I don't want to say alot more except that if you are heading out for a day fishing or sailing or just cruising the harbour make sure that you are wearing the correct clothing and if you are not a good swimmer wear a pfd at all times.

Take care !!!!!!!

Slink - Thats very difficult stuff to be involved in and really makes you think about what you do on the water and the precautions to take with your life or lives of those with you. Sounds like you did all the right stuff for them mate - good onya

Cheers Blood Knot

It is only a matter of time until it becomes compulsary for everyone to be wearing a life jacket on the water. I don't have big problem with that. However the affectiveness of a self-inflating life jacket needs to be looked at especially when looking at drownings like the botany bay drowning last week

i think you done your best mate. Ive been tracking this story on the news and cannot imagine what it would be like to go through something like that. Alot of people wouldnt of stuck around and helped like you did.

I hope they find him!